Minnesota Babies

Cloth Diapers Anyone? Also, Health Foundations?

Just found out that we're expecting a baby this coming Feb and are interested in doing cloth diapers. Can anyone recommend a specific brand or type? This will be our first and really don't have any experience with cloth diapers but are very interested in them. 

Also, we think we might go the birth center or midwife route and are wondering if anyone has been to Health Foundations, the new birth center on Grand Ave. What did you think of it? 

Re: Cloth Diapers Anyone? Also, Health Foundations?

• We are expecting our first in October and have been looking into cloth diapering.  I went to a free class at Amma Maternity in Edina and thought it was very helpful.  We are still not sure what we will end up going with but I thought this class was very informative and I know what I don't want now!  I

Good Luck!   

www.ammamaternity.com    (I see they have a class coming up August 4)

• I don't know much about specific brands or styles, but I do totally recommend going the CD route. We've been using Do Good Diaper Service and love it. After using disposables for 3 weeks while we were on vacation, I was so happy to get back to our cloth! Once you get the hang of it all, it's really very easy.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • we cloth diaper. Peapods on snelling has a good variety of types. 

My biggest advice is to not pick one kind and just buy all of that. See what you like, test them out. People on here LOVE the bumgenius pockets, I loathe them. Jillians drawers (online) offers a trial package, and a lot of people love that they get to test some of everything.

We used mostly kissaluvs and bumgenius all in ones when K was a newborn, and have a very varied stash after that. My fave diapers are flats, and my husband prefers prefolds, but we also have some fitteds and all in ones too.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use bum genius 3.0 we love them!
  • Hi!  Congrats! 

We just moved here so I can't speak to the midwives in the area, but we used a midwife in Seattle and LOVED them! 

When we got here we signed up for a cloth diaper delivery service through Do Good Diapers.  It's comparable in price (maybe cheaper?) than disposables and you dont' have to do the laundry - just put the bag out once a week and they bring you clean ones.  I love the service - other people don't like it for some reason.  Anyway, we use those with Bumkins covers (we got a 4 pack at Costco and another 4 pack when DS outgrew the newborn size).  4 covers is enough for us to "rotate" w/ diaper changes throughout the day and one spare in the diaper bag. 

We do use disposables at night though - just 1 each night now that he's older - because they can contain a long night's worth of pee and keep him dry without waking the little dude :D)

• We've been using CD since dd was about 8 weeks and my favorites are the Bumgenius sized AIOs. My 2nd fav is the Bumgenius Flips. I also have the Bumgenius 3.0s and I also like them but they are so bulky on dd in the front right now and I also don't like stuffing them or pulling the insert out when it's dirty. We also have Cutey Baby AIOs and they are supposed to fit 10-35lbs but dd is 12 lbs and they are still to big on her. I'm excited to try those too. Oh, and I have a Happy Heiny w/snaps too. Not my favorite diaper either although some people just rave about them. It feels like more of a "homeade" diaper to me. I think Bumgenius makes a really high quality product. Keep your eye out for specials and you can build up a good stash for not much $$. I probably only spent around $200 and I have way more diapers than I need to diaper full time.  

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will be cloth diapering, and I learned tons by lurking on The Eco-Friendly Family.  There are always CD questions there!  My newborn stash includes prefolds, Kissaluvs, (with covers for these two) and bumgenius AIOs.  Good luck!
  • I CD two kids. I like the BG 3.0s the best on both of them. The aplix sucks on them after 2+ years of uses but other than that they have held up great. I have 2 BG AIOs and I like them but I prefer the one size diapers. I also have 6 smartipants diapers and they are terrible. both kids leak out of them. I also have a bunch of other random diapers and the only one I really like is the fuzzibunz.
  • I agree with the previous posts about the trial packages.  Each person is different with what they prefer and the trial pack gives you a sample of each, with the option to buy more of the ones you prefer the most.  We cloth diaper at home and love it.  My mom actually ended up making us quite a few that are a lot like the Bumgenius 3.0 pockets.  I wish daycare would use cloth to make it better for us all day every day.

• We are going to start with green mountain prefolds with covers (thirsties, bummis, wool?), then likely switch to pocket diapers once baby is bigger. ?Or thats the plan at this point....like everyone says, you dont know whats going to work best for your baby until you try.

?

Isn't health foundations associated with Blooma? ?I've heard good things about Blooma, but haven't heard enough about Health Foundations to comment.?

• I am due next month with my 1st and plan to CD.  I have been looking around at the various types and think I will use the Econobum or Flip diapers.  They are both all-in-ones, which makes the most sense to me bc you don't need to buy separate covers for each stage.  Because they are aio covers, you need to buy separate prefolds or flat diapers to fold and set in - but this way you only need a few covers and just change out the prefolds when needed (vs. the pocket diapers).  The website I have found is cottonbabies.com - seems to have great prices and everything that you will need for it.  I have also just stumbled upon Amma Maternity in Edina and will be attending the free cloth diapering class next week so I can get a better feel and be sure these are the diapers for me.  Good Luck! :)
  • imagekmb5223:
    I am due next month with my 1st and plan to CD.  I have been looking around at the various types and think I will use the Econobum or Flip diapers.  They are both all-in-ones, which makes the most sense to me bc you don't need to buy separate covers for each stage.  Because they are aio covers, you need to buy separate prefolds or flat diapers to fold and set in - but this way you only need a few covers and just change out the prefolds when needed (vs. the pocket diapers).  The website I have found is cottonbabies.com - seems to have great prices and everything that you will need for it.  I have also just stumbled upon Amma Maternity in Edina and will be attending the free cloth diapering class next week so I can get a better feel and be sure these are the diapers for me.  Good Luck! :)

They are not all in ones. All in ones are diapers that have a cover and absorbent part built in.

They ARE one size. but they are not all in ones.  

• I love our Bum Genius 3.o's  We got them all off of craigslist.org.  I got a couple at Peapods in St Paul.  I say get a small collection of diapers and figure out what you like best.  

Also, Health Foundations is an incredible place.  My next baby will be born at home but Health Foundations would be my 2nd choice.  The midwives there also attend homebirths. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"