Attachment Parenting
Options

BLW vs. purees and nursing

I can't seem to find this answer through Google...

When doing BLW vs. typical pureed foods for baby will they still nurse as much as they were before? We just started solids yesterday and haven't seen a decrease in nursing yet, but pedi said to be prepared for it.

I don't really want him having more solids than breast milk so I'm wondering if we do BLW instead (so far all he's had is baby oatmeal) if I'll see less of a decrease in nursing.

Or does it just depend on the child?

Re: BLW vs. purees and nursing

• Options
    From what I've read you shouldn't see a decrease in nursing until solids become a bigger part of his diet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Not sure on the BLW vs pureed food but here is some good info on making sure your LO won't wean earlier than you want due to solids.

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-how.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Even when you do purees it's so gradual. You probably won't see a decrease in nursing for over a month.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We made sure to always let DD nurse (or have a milk feed) prior to any solids, that kept breast milk as her main meal and solids/BLW/purees as "practice."  It's what's recommended in the BLW book and it makes sense since milk should still be the main source of nutrition.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think you'll see a decrease in nursing for quite awhile. We did BLW mostly, but some spoon feeding (yogurt in the morning, babysitters would do purees) and Emmy ADORED solids from the beginning. But she honestly didn't start cutting back on nursing until 9 months, even with eating a lot of solids. She still nurses probably 4-6 times a day at almost one (and now I want her to cut back some, lol)
  • Options
    We do more purees than finger food, but I do the same as GypsyEsq and always nurse first before offering solids. A hasn't picked up a full second meal just yet and only recently had days with only 5 nursing sessions (typically it is 6-8). He just seems hungrier now. Usually he has oatmeal, some fruit, and maybe yogurt for breakfast. Dinner is veggies and now a little meat (just chicken so far) but that meal is pretty small as far as how much he wants to eat.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Thanks everyone! Pedi said to nurse after the solids because that way DS won't refuse solids in favor of the breast.

And thanks for the link Ana.

I'm just so not ready to give up even one nursing session yet.  I love it too much Embarrassed

• Options
    imageMrsRebecca:

Thanks everyone! Pedi said to nurse after the solids because that way DS won't refuse solids in favor of the breast.

I'm just so not ready to give up even one nursing session yet.  I love it too much Embarrassed

Solids at your LOs age are really just practice.  I'd definitely nurse first.  Kellymom and all the more up to date literature make that suggestion.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsRebecca:

Like pp said solids right now are just practice so it would make more sense that he should be consuming what actually provides nourishment (bm) first. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I really didnt notice a decrease in her nursing until like, oh I dunno 9 months or so...and that was slight. We also did sort of a hybrid of purees/BLW. She for sure started on purees but very early on she wanted to feed herself. I used to do a "rough" puree of things and let her have at it since they were soft. 

ETA: just read the rest of the responses and yes, I agree that the main source of nutrition should be BM, if he refuses to eat his solids so be it...its not (fully)  for nutrition that early anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrsRebecca:

Your pedi is wrong, sorry to say. If he favors the breast at this point, that is absolutely fine. He needs the BM (or formula) as his primary nutrition-solids are just for practice/fun.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I'm sure you've gotten your answer by now, but just thought I would jump on board with the others.

Especially if you decide to go with BLW, you absolutely need to nurse first as you don't want LO to be hungry when they're experiencing the foods. At this age, everything is about exploration of solids and not about consumption. 

I find that if DS is hungry when he is given his BLW meal, he doesn't really try much of his food and gets fussy quite easily, whereas if I nurse within an hour or so before his meal...he is happy to give everything a try and doesn't get cranky by the end.

Also, we've been BLW for nearly 2 months now and his nursing hasn't dropped off at all, which is fine with me. He's still getting his main nutrients from BM anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"