Babies: 0 - 3 Months

difference between pre-mixed formula versus powder in the can??

Is there a benefit to the powder in the can??  It is sooooo much cheaper to buy the Ready made/mixed Similac than the powder in the can.

I am guessing the price difference is just due to the convenience of having one small can of powder instead of 4- 1 quart bottles of ready made???? 

Re: difference between pre-mixed formula versus powder in the can??

• I dont think so.  I think the podwer is more convenient.  I use room temp water so I never have to heat up bottles.  Saves time and saves my baby from screaming if she is hungry and waiting for a bottle to heat up. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Really? Where do you buy it? I was looking at Target the other day, because the ready-made Similac bottles were $5.49 each. The container of powder I buy is $22, and you would get more ounces of formula with the powder than 4 bottles of ready to feed. Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageStarfish113:
    Really? Where do you buy it? .................Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place!

I was thinking the exact same thing! Maybe the OP typed it incorrectly??  I imagine the difference in cost (where the ready-made is more $$$) is due to the extra packaging, shipping weight, etc.... involved? Also, you are paying a machine to mix the stuff up for you.

• Don't you need to boil the water beforehand?  That is why I haven't bought the powder - but if you don't need to boil maybe I will change over!  It would be so much more convenient being on the go
  • imageminaa7:
    Don't you need to boil the water beforehand?  That is why I haven't bought the powder - but if you don't need to boil maybe I will change over!  It would be so much more convenient being on the go

I just use the Nursery water. I think it's just glorified distilled water, but DH likes that it says it's for babies. LOL.

• PP - you only need to boil the water if your pedi told you to (usually for preemies)

OP - I have both a container of Similac powder here, and a RTF bottle. For $22, you can get 166 ounces from the powder. For $22, you can get 128 ounces from 4 bottles of the ready-to-feed formula.

So, it's definitely cheaper for powder. Not by a ton, but I'd rather get the extra 38 ounces without the convenience of ready made!! But again, this was based on the sale at Target this week.. may be different somewhere else???

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I now use tap water but I was using bottled water in the beginning but my pedi said tap water was fine.  I switched to tap a few weeks ago.

• Thanks ashopaholicmom & Starfish!  I didn't expect to be doing formula so I don't know anything about it - it sounds like I'll be switching over to powdered formula!  
  • imageashopaholicmom:

imageStarfish113:
    Really? Where do you buy it? .................Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong place!

I was thinking the exact same thing! Maybe the OP typed it incorrectly??  I imagine the difference in cost (where the ready-made is more $$$) is due to the extra packaging, shipping weight, etc.... involved? Also, you are paying a machine to mix the stuff up for you.

I think it was a typo at Costco!  I went to Costco and it was .15 cents an ounce for the ready made and it was .89 cents for the powder..........I was confused so that is why I am asking!!  I am guessing it was a typo because everything i jest read says the ready made is more convenient but it is more expensive

• For sure, the RTF liquid is more expensive than the powder. 

There is a difference between the pre-mixed RTF formula vs. the powder from a non-cost perspective.  Some LOs prefer the RTF liquid over the powder.  I have read here how some LOs just won't take formula made from powder and LOs with AR can't have the powder due to a corn byproduct that is in the powder (which is not in the RTF liquid). 

• we tried the powder because its so much cheaper but it didn't agree with ds so our pedi had us switch back to rtf.  If your LO can take the powder then its definitely more wallet friendly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"