Nurseries and Baby Gear

WDYT? Ikea Poang chair for nursery?

I've been trying to decide if I should get the Poang chair from Ikea to use in the nursery or if I should get an upholstered glider.  I would prefer the design of the Poang because the room is fairly small but I'm concerned about the wooden arms.

What do you think?  Do you or anyone you know have this chair in the nursery?

TIA!

dx PCOS on Metformin
LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
Totally worth the wait!
Getting ready for #2
Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
My Chart / Info for Newbies

Re: WDYT? Ikea Poang chair for nursery?

• Have you tried out the chair in person?  I considered it.  I'm 5'7" and I thought the chair was too low/wrong angle for me.  It would have been awkward getting out while holding a baby.  I could not do it gracefully and smoothly. 

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • I tried it out last weekend and I thought that I was sitting a little too reclined in it. I liked it, but I just didn't feel upright enough.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have one in our nursery (living room because we co sleep). I love it! I didn't get a glider because I get severe motion sickness. One con is I had a c section and couldn't get out of the chair for the first month. Now I use it daily and the bouncing feels more like what you do to a baby in your arms then the gliding. DD falls asleep on my lap in it.
  • We have one in our nursery (the rocking version) and we really like it. I usually have a lumbar pillow under my arm to hold DS's head up (so the wood doesnt' bother me).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    We also have the rocking version (not the one on your link) and love it though it is obviously yet to be used for nursing.  The wood doesn't bother at all and it is super comfy.  We both made sure we could get up and out of it and neither of us are particularly tall. It does actually rock so maybe the slight rocking motion forward helps propel you up.  We did spring for the leather cushion for easier cleaning.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have it.  Love it.  Get the footrest, too.  Nice place to sit and read DS a story. 
  • We use a Poang chair as our nursery chair and the previous poster is correct, getting out of the chair while holding a baby is tough (although getting out of any chair while holding a baby is not easy).  Have you looked at the Poang rocker (which might be easier to get out of) or one of the other Ikea rockers (they have similar styling).

I actually liked the arm rests, they were not too high for me to fit my nursing pillow over (I often used a pillow under my nursing pillow so that I could be completely hands free and not bent over while nursing).  Every glider I tried had this issue and the little castle gliders were the worst since they had high arm rests. 

Thomas ~ 07/07/2008 ~ 8 lbs, 5 oz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

What's in my camera bag: Nikon D5000, Kit Lens 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G, Tamron 28-75mm, SB 600 Speedlight

Global Developmental Delay consisting of a receptive language delay and self help skills delay

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"