Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Can't take my DD anywhere...

...in her stroller without a meltdown.  Today was a beautiful day - not too hot and low humidity.  Thought we could take her to the park or just walk around the neighborhood in the stroller.  We put her in the car seat and she was happy and smiling...until the moment we stepped outside.  She immediately started crying.  I thought maybe it was still too hot for her (this was 3 PM), so we waited until 7:30 PM.  Same result.  She wouldn't stop crying until we were back inside the house. 

She hasn't been out of the house very much at all since we got home from the hospital - maybe a handful of times, and not recently either (within the last couple of weeks).  Our pedi had told us not to take her to any public places until after she had her 2 month shots and we listened to her.  Plus, it's been so freaking hot here that we just haven't gone out.  I want to take her out more, but am afraid now to do so.  It's become a vicious cycle and it needs to be broken - we can't keep her in the house forever! 

Any tips for getting her out of the house without crying/screaming? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Can't take my DD anywhere...

• Riley hates her car seat. Hates it. In the car I have to blast white noise until she stops screaming, then I play a Fisher price lullaby CD. On walks in the stroller it takes hee a couple minutes to calm down and them she loves it. I'd keep trying the strolls. Good luck Michelle :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Do you think it's the carseat or the outdoors?  DD hated the carseat for awhile, she still isn't too fond of it, but she loves being outside.  Maybe try taking her out a few minutes at a time during the day?  We've been going out for an hour or so and playing on a blanket in the shade.  Once she gets used to it start increasing the time you're out.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • does she like being in a baby carrier? if so, can you try wearing her and walking around the block to see if she'll adjust to being outdoors and then try the stroller again? If it's too hot, that might not work out, but maybe at night when it's cooler?

Once we're moving at a good pace in the stroller DS loves it, he's not a fan of not moving and gets fussy.

GL!

• imageWildcatPrincess:

Do you think it's the carseat or the outdoors?  DD hated the carseat for awhile, she still isn't too fond of it, but she loves being outside.  Maybe try taking her out a few minutes at a time during the day?  We've been going out for an hour or so and playing on a blanket in the shade.  Once she gets used to it start increasing the time you're out.

Oh that's a good question. Hopefully it's just the car seat and the suggestions will help! Riley spends hours during the day on a blanket under a tree. Loves it. Hopefully she just hates the seat!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Does your stroller go completely flat so she can go directly in it instead of in the carseat? DD hates the carseat but doesn't mind being flat in the stroller. She also loves being worn
    Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • Have you thought about wearing her?  DS HATES the stroller because he can't see anything.  Once I wear him he's a happy camper. 
  • Babywear!  DD hates her stroller & carseat.  She loves the Ergo though & falls asleep nearly every single time.  I use it everyday for walks, errands, house chores, etc.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • try putting her in a carrier.  She may just need the comfort of you in a new situation.  My first DD had to be in a carrier when we went anywhere after the first month of life because she would freak out.  She's still not great with the stroller but that is more of an independent toddler thing now.
  • Thanks, Ladies!!  We tried taking her outside again this morning - no such luck.  Same thing happened again.  =(

DD loves being in the Moby, and I wear her around the house almost everyday.  But it's still too hot to wear her outdoors in it.  I would use the Ergo, but she hates the infant insert.  I can't wait until it gets cooler out so I can wear her in the Moby.  By that time, she will probably be old enough to be put in the Ergo w/o the insert, too, so DH can wear her as well (he refuses to wear the Moby).

Starfish, Wildcat - that's a good point about the carseat.  I sometimes put her in her carseat while indoors - she seems to be OK with it, but won't let me take her outside in it.  I'll try taking her outside w/o the carseat - on a blanket on the lawn - maybe that will help get her used to being out of the house!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"