Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

I judged another mom today.

We were at a family reunion and were sitting on the pool deck. This girl I went to HS with (DH's cousins wife) came up and lit up a cigarette. My BIL made a comment about her feeling the need to smoke near the kids (there were about 6 or 8 kids in the pool, plus DD sitting on the deck with us). She commented that "she had to watch the kids." Just because you have to come up to watch the kids (hers plus neices/nephews), doesn't mean you have to smoke up here! Your cigarette can wait lady. 

THEN, I overheard her talking to her daughter (6 y/o maybe) saying "I am so sick of this attitude. I hope to God this one is a boy so he doesn't talk to me the way you do!" So, she is pregnant. And smoking. And smoking literally RIGHT NEXT to her kids.

I couldn't help but judge. 

/vent 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
IMG_0173.11
Trying for #2 since July 2010
BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!

Re: I judged another mom today.

• Options
    I HATE those people!!!  To be honest, my mom was "one of them", and I even judge her.  Dumb, selfish people.
  • Options

Sounds like a winner.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd judge, too.  Smoking and pregnant-not okay.  And in public?!  I even get annoyed when people light up on restaurant patios right behind or next to us.  I know smoking is still allowed in patio areas in VA, but I think if no one else is smoking AND children are present you can restrain yourself until you leave the restaurant or just go somewhere else if you're that in need of a smoke.
  • Options

Smokers are easy targets for judging. 

I'm glad I quit.

• Options
    How sad :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yup. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with my brother & I too. She regrets it (and no longer smokes).  The defense I hate the worst is when people say "Well we did XYZ and you kids turned out fine." Sure, my mom smoked & I survived, I'm healthy, went to college, etc. But what if she didn't smoke? Maybe I wouldn't have needed allergy shots for 3 years? Maybe I would have been smarter, gotten in to a better school, etc. You never know. I HATE that defense, for anything. 

IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
  • Options

I am not a smoker. I'd like to put that out there first.

But drs say if you are a smoker before the BFP that sometimes it is worse if you quite. It causes you stress and inturn causes the baby stress. That smokers should cut down A LOT while pregnant. I would not judge her for that.

However I would judge because she is sitting there ranting on and on about how she doesnt like her daughters attitude and wishes this next one is a boy. That is horrible to say! That is horrible to HEAR! that poor little girl. If her next baby is a boy, hearing that over and over again is going to make that little girl resent the baby.

• Options

I forgot to add.. I do not think its ok for her to smoke around all the LO's. I would judge for that too.. I would have also said something.

• Options
    The smoking around kids is not ideal, but the belittling of her daughter is far mire damaging. Yuck. As for people smoking on patios, if it's legal, then while annoying, eh. Just because YOU have a kid doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to consider your wishes. If you choose to sit on the patio, you're raking the risk. It's on you to leave sucky as it is.
  • Options
    imageHeather577:

Smokers are easy targets for judging. 

I'm glad I quit.

Probably because smokers don't care how they affect other people around them.  I judge people who don't care that they are doing something that has a huge affect on others, especially children.

imageDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"