Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

scary dog incident

DD got bit in the face by the neighbor's dog. Fortunately, the scratches are superficial and will heal without any scarring. She did need two stitches to close one of the wounds, but the doc said that one won't scar either, she just wanted to make sure it closed b/c of it being near her mouth and her moving that area so much.

It happened so fast, she plays with this dog all the time. She wasn't even standing next to the dog when it happened and I was right next to dd. I knew animals were unpredictable but never realized how undpreridctable until now.

Re: scary dog incident

• wow! I would be a raging lunatic if that happened to my kid! What happened to the  dog?
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • This is exactly why I'm waaaaay overly cautious with any dog, even if the owner says, "it's used to kids." One time is all it takes.

Hopefully your DD will heal soon. And hugs!!

oh, I have an air horn in my stroller. Just in case an unfamiliar dog comes up to us.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for sharing and reminding us that even the friendly dogs are unpredictable.  DS is always going right for the dogs and cats and I think I am getting too comfortable with it.  This will definitely remind me to be more careful.

((hugs)) I hope your DD will heal quick!  BTW, what was your reaction?  I know I would have freaked out.  What happened to the dog?  I know I would NEVER bring my LO back over there if the dog was still around. 

• Yikes!! This just happened to one of my uncles nieces at the beginning of the week.  He shares a 2 fam house with his inlaws and there are a few dogs between the 2 of them.  His inlaws have a rottie and she jumped up and totally bit one of his 2 yo nieces on the back.  So scarey the mom understandibly flipped, but neither of her parents budged!!!  They blamed it on her for picking her daughter up in front of the dog!!  Totally insane...luckily she was ok..i just couldn't get a handle on their lack of action.  Maybe they were in shock...who knows
  • Thanks for all the well wishes.

We were all shocked when the dog jumped up and bit her. My first concern was dd and calling the pedi to see what I needed to do so I really didn't have time to react in anger.  The neighbors were horrified and reacted immediately to make sure the baby was ok too, so I didn't really feel like there was any point in getting mad at them. 

They have assured me the dog will not be unleashed again and the leash will be shortened so he can't get to the sidewalk (he was leashed at the time but we were on their property).  I will not be letting dd near this dog again.  I filled out a report at the ER and animal control follows up. The neighbors next door also know about i the incident so they know to keep their kids away from the dog now too. I'll also let the neighbors of other small kids on teh street know so they can be careful around this dog.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"