Breastfeeding

How to determine supply?

This may sound silly but how do you even know if you have an over/under supply? My DD isn't fussy after feeding so I assume she's satisfied but sometimes when I pump I only get 3 ounces combined. I read somewhere that you could assume baby is getting an extra ounce per breast since physical sucking is stronger than any pump but I guess I'm wondering if I should be worried about low supply even though my daughter is gaining weight and seems content after feeding. 

Re: How to determine supply?

• The way I knew was by him losing weight since his latch is good. He would pull off and on, fuss and get upset.

If your DD is satisfied after eating then I'm pretty sure your supply meets her needs!!!

• When I went and saw a lactation consultant she weighed the baby before he ate, then he nursed for 10 minutes and she weighed him again and told me exactly how much he had taken in.  Then she did the same thing on the other side.  I think that's the only really accurate way to tell, but if your LO seems satisfied and you have enough wet diapers then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Jackson-19 months image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemelissa&mark:
    ... even though my daughter is gaining weight and seems content after feeding. 

If this is the case,  your supply is perfect.  Don't worry!

I think this board over-focuses on supply issues.  Not that there aren't people with legitimate concerns, but on the whole most people can just nurse and not worry about supply.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePAmiler82:

imagemelissa&mark:
    ... even though my daughter is gaining weight and seems content after feeding. 

If this is the case,  your supply is perfect.  Don't worry!

I think this board over-focuses on supply issues

I agree. I also think there is too much emphasis on oz. pumped as an indicator of supply. Per my LC, I've got plenty of milk, and I rarely get more than 3-4 oz. total in a pumping session.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • imageHailsLyrics:

The way I knew was by him losing weight since his latch is good. He would pull off and on, fuss and get upset.

If your DD is satisfied after eating then I'm pretty sure your supply meets her needs!!!

Ditto this.

If your baby is gaining weight then you are just fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"