December 2010 Moms
Options

2nd time + moms, birth plan?

I know that a birth plan is just a plan, and that things will change, but I was wondering how much doctors stuck to it when possible. I plan on doing some things like allowing the cord to pulsate, avoiding episiotomy, etc. 

Do OBs take that kind of thing seriously? Or I am making plans only to hear a "this is how we do it"?

Re: 2nd time + moms, birth plan?

• Options
    My OB with DS had us prepare our birth plan several weeks before EDD so we could go over it together.  We than talked about the things I wanted and the things that were a "this is how we do it".  I ended up having a different doctor deliver Caiden as my OB was part of a "team" so some of the things I had wanted kinda got ignored.  The only thing That I honestly ended up being upset about was being given pitocin right after being admitted to the hospital because my water broke.  I was 9 days early and the risk of infection cause the doctor to proceed that way.  It was also "the way they did it".  DH and I have talked about it, and bc the same OB team will be on call when I go into labor this time.  If my water breaks again, I will wait longer to go to the hospital instead of heading straight in.  I will be getting an epidural, but plan on going drug free otherwise.
  • Options
    Sounds like you understand the "plan" part of it :)  It's a really good idea to go through one of those outlined birth plan forms with preferences.  That way you know what to expect in the delivery room and what you would like/prefer or not.  As to whether or not they will actually follow it...most will try but you never know.  For example, I preferred only external monitoring but they couldn't get both my contractions and my DS heartbeat at the same time in any position so I had to have him internally monitored.  I would suggest that in terms of what you bring to the hospital with you, pick out the things that are most important to you and keep it down to one page.  If not it tends to be too overwhelming for both you and the nurses when you check in to L & D. Last, definitely go over your preferences with your doctor a good month or two before delivery that way you know their common practice and you have a better idea of what to expect.  Sorry this is so long, but HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think so much depends on your doctor, the hospital, the nurses, and your unique situation.  For me, I felt like the best birth plan was just to be as flexible as possible.  I didn't want to look back on any of the experience and have deep regrets that something didn't go as planned so I just decided to go with the flow.  And you should know that I am NOT usually a go with the flow kind of girl.  I like to plan, make lists, and then plan some more.  I'm a control freak with OCD.  So for me, I had to spend 9 mos training myself that when the time came I would have to let go.  And you know what, it worked!  Nothing about his birth went the way that I would have planned.  Low fetal movement at 37 wks led us to go straight for a c-section, never even had a contraction.  He had swallowed meconium and his lung collapsed within minutes of birth followed by 5 days of NICU.  And through all of that, I can still honestly say that I never lost my cool, never panicked or had a control freak moment, and I 100% have no regrets about the way that it all happened.  So yeah, my birth plan was to have no birth plan and it was perfect :-)  I think you should definitely discuss your wishes with your doc up front but when the time comes, just enjoy the moment and don't let the other stuff get to you. 

• Options
    Thank you, Ladies, for sharing your wisdom! I really appreciate the advice of those who have been there.
  • Options

imageslwprincess:
    I think so much depends on your doctor, the hospital, the nurses, and your unique situation.  For me, I felt like the best birth plan was just to be as flexible as possible.  I didn't want to look back on any of the experience and have deep regrets that something didn't go as planned so I just decided to go with the flow.  And you should know that I am NOT usually a go with the flow kind of girl.  I like to plan, make lists, and then plan some more.  I'm a control freak with OCD.  So for me, I had to spend 9 mos training myself that when the time came I would have to let go.  And you know what, it worked!  Nothing about his birth went the way that I would have planned. 

This was my plan too - to do what they wanted as long as it got out a healthy baby. Unfortunately, my sub-plan (no meds apart from an epidural) went out the window by being so flexible. The MWs pushed every other pain medication first: pethidine, gas and air, etc without encouraging me to move around. By th etime I got to hospital after 48 hours of constant 5-10min contractions I was too tired to remember what I wanted, DH was too tired (and being sick in teh bathroom) and it just fell to pieces. My emergency c-section was apparently unrelated (DS went transverse at 8cm) but I guess my point is to pick a few things that are really important and make sure you or your birthing partners stick to them. The medical team will do what they think is best, but also possibly what they think is easier for them.

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"