Upstate NY Babies

group vs private practice

For your OB-GYN, do you go to a group practice or a private practice? Do you like one better than the other or see major pros/cons?

little backstory/rant- I'm getting cold feet about switching Drs. My current OB is a group practice right around the corner from my house (I will be lugging Justin to 99% of my appts). Looking back on it, I had a great labor experience. My main complaint is that I was given some conflicting info from 1 dr to another as far as things like whether or not they would induce me. My SIL recommended her Dr, with a private practice, who is about a 15 minute drive away, in good weather.  I'm nervous to be in 3rd tri, late winter/early spring- making that biweekly or weekly drive.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: group vs private practice

• I have a OB as part of a group of I think 5 drs.  I feel comfortable with each and every one of them, but of course love my dr the most :)

My only concern with a private practice, is what if your dr is not at your labor for whatever reason?  I am sure he has an agreement with other drs, where one of them would take care of you, but do you get to meet them first?

• Oh, and my dr office is a 20 min drive.  But that is how much I like them :)

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor is about a 20 minute drive from my house.  I go to a group of 5 doctors- 2 females and 3 males.  I like one doctor the best and generally see her when I can.  While pregnant, I do have to rotate through all of them so I "know" them.  My concern is that with a private practice and just 1 doctor- what if they are out of town, sick, busy with someone else, etc when you go into labor?  What type of arrangements do they have for your care?  
  • I love my OB so much that we drive 30+ minutes (in traffic) to see her. I scheduled them 1st thing in the am...so DH just left when I got home. Or we both went with 2 cars and DH left right for work from there. The drive didn't bother me at all - and I had DD in January so I had a bunch of wintery drives. Wintery drives = starbucks. Actually, all drives = starbucks. Anyway - if you have to get in the car the extra drive doesn't really matter...gives it time for the car to warm up. I would go with who you like better.

OBs generally schedule their vacations faaaaar in advance - my OB schedules hers around due dates, haha!

• I liked my big group better but that is only after 2 appts with the new dr.  At the old office I rarely had to wait long for an appt and the office is literally 3 minutes from teh house.  The new dr only has 3 drs and 2 nps(i think) Well at my last appt I had to wait 45 minutes in the waiting room and then another 20 in the room b/c one of the drs was delivering and the ohter dr took all of his appts.  but i am still holding hope that htey are wonderful since they came so highly recommended. 

If you have to take justin i would go with the place that is going to get you in and out the quickest.  I would have hated waiting with ethan for over an hour. 

• Hmm.. Well.. my dr's have 2 drs (no NPs or PAs) in the office..They had 3 when Eve was born, but 1 left and they didn't replace her.  I really like the way office works there..when you call, its nurses that answer the phones (not a receptionist or secretary).. and its a small office so a lot of times they'll just grab the dr while you wait (not have to wait for a call back for ages).  Sometimes it is a long wait though.. I guess thats the downside.

I drove to Williamsville for all my OB appts...so like.. 35-40 mins. and that was in the winter.. It was a pain, but DH and I both worked over there..although I don't think we went straight to work very often..  i kept saying I was going to switch to OP.. but I never did.. I did make my annual appt there.. so I hope I can keep going to OP when I get pg again.. I don't think a 15 min drive is far.. since my "close" option is like 20 mins..

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"