Attachment Parenting
Options

Confused about BWing (Probably a dumb question)

I lurk on this board alot, and am very interested in AP, and especially bwing. We're adopting and right now I'm just trying to get info and plan things. I've found alot of info on bwing and the different kinds of carriers and things, and really want to try it. I really like the idea of bwing over using a stroller or carrying a car seat around when we're out. My question is about bwing at home. I've noticed people on here talking about it, and I guess I'm confused, partly because I don't really know what it's like to have a baby around yet. But when do you wear your baby at home? Is it basically when you're cleaining and doing things around the house? Do you continue to wear them while they're sleeping? What kind of carrier is best for at home? Sorry if these questions sound stupid, I guess maybe it will be easier to understand once I have a LO. I'm just trying to figure out all the details and decide what carriers to register for, right now I've picked out a hotslings sling carrier and an Ergo. Is this good to start with? Thanks for the info and advice!
After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Confused about BWing (Probably a dumb question)

• Options

BWing at home is great for getting things done as well as for a fussy or colicky LO, or a LO who has trouble napping (tiny ones will usually fall asleep in carriers).  A pocket sling can be a little tricky with an infant will be great for hip carries with an older baby, a lot of people love the Ergo (I didn't use one until my girls were a few months and never loved it), and a Moby or Sleepy Wrap comes highly recommended for newborns around here. 

I would suggest starting here (in fact, there's a new blog post about wrapping newborns on the main page):  https://www.becomingmamas.com/babywearing-2/

Also, you might want to check out thebabywearer.com for more info.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

How much you will wear at home will likely depend on the age of your baby when he/she comes home.  If you have a newborn, I think nothing beats a wrap for snuggly hands free-ness - little babies want/need to be held a lot so you'll want a good carrier to do it for you ;-)  I wore kiddo for naps until he was past 6 months - it was what worked for us and I enjoyed it.  I also used to wear him a ton when I needed to do stuff.

Now that he's older, I mostly only wear him out or to wear him down to sleep.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

For a newborn, a wrap (either a moby wrap or a woven wrap) is ideal.  I would not get the hotslings carrier for a newborn.  Too hard to get the fit right and not comfortable for wearing for long periods of time.  You will need the infant insert with the ergo for a newborn. 

For the first several months I wore my baby constantly, including while he napped.  I really didn't want him to get flat head because it seems to be some sort of epidemic around here.  Plus, I enjoyed the bonding aspect (I believe in the "4th trimester").  While he was awake I would of course, let him be on the floor for periods of time to "play".  As he got older, he naturally required more time on floor and now I barely ever wear him while we are at home because he's happy to crawl around and play and he now sleeps in his crib.  While we are out, my carrier of choice is the ring sling (from about age 6 months).   

• Options
    i love my ergo, wore my son in it all the time-while he napped, when he was fussy, when i was cleaning/cooking/ect...they have an infant insert but we just used a thick blanket wrapped around him to give him extra support instead of buying the extra insert
  • Options
    hway24hway24 member
    Thanks for the responses! It makes a little more sense now, I didn't realize a baby would be able to nap good in a carrier. I'll probably get a moby they seem like the best for a newborn. Thanks again!
    After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"