April 2011 Moms
Options

Cover almost blown last night

We went to dinner with DH's best friend and his wife (who DH happened to set up b/c he works with her).  Halfway through the night, when I had to use the bathroom, DH's friend blurted out  "I wasn't born yesterday- why isn't Nikki drinking- you totally got her pregnant in Europe!"  So when I got back to the table DH, who I would have thought would have had a pretty quick comeback to cover my butt, looks at me with wide drunk eyes and said "Tell Todd why you're not drinking" knowing full well he didn't want me to spill the beans.

I said "I'm just so tired from work all day, and told DH I would be the DD, and even one glass of wine right now and I'd be passed out".

Hopefully that was convincing- but I better get used to having a quick comeback- eagle eyes are out there!

Re: Cover almost blown last night

• Options

Did your husband tell you what he told them while you were in the bathroom? Hopefully they believed you, but if not, hopefully they stay quiet about their thoughts until you're ready to announce it!

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I see this same scenario happening to me in the coming weeks as well!  Like Sarah said even if they didn't believe you, hopefully they won't ask again and will let you tell them when you're ready :). We have a big 10-day music festival coming up in our area - tons of food, music, and drinking.  I plan to carry my festival mug (solid in color w/ lid) around the entire festival.  Instead of a cold beer, there'll be some cold water inside!  I think it'll just be easier to mask what I'm drinking than to have to explain away why I'm not drinking anything at all!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, DH told his friend that I had had a sip of his martini (which I did) earlier in the night to taste test to try to prove I could and would drink if I wanted, and friend truly didn't see that happen, so I hope what I said was convincing. 

However, another co-worker of DH was with us and said, "Well, if Nikki has a baby in April (yep Rainman over there figured out a due date pretty quickly!) you'll know they were lying tonight". 

No dummies his friends...

• Options
    Close one!  My whole strategy is fake it till you make it.  My friends are like Colombo too, so it's best for me if I have a sprite in hand with a lime.  That way no explanation needed!
  • Options
    I hate that people feel the need to ask questions like that - if you wanted them to know, then you'd tell them.  I had to be super stealthy around my friends and get bartenders to make me fake drinks to hide it, it was annoying.  I'm having a party with some of my girlfriends in a few weeks with lots of wine, still trying to figure out how to cover up with that one! 
  • Options

imageNikkieb11:
    Close one!  My whole strategy is fake it till you make it.  My friends are like Colombo too, so it's best for me if I have a sprite in hand with a lime.  That way no explanation needed!

This had totally been our plan...I usually get Blueberry Stoli and Sprite anyway, but we didn't have time to tell the waitress to bring me fake drinks before our friends joined us--I chalk this near slip up to slow waitstaff !

• Options
    Oh no!! I can see this happening to me too, we normally have parties at our house every couple of weeks complete with beer pong, and I ALWAYS play. I have no idea how to get out of it. Maybe skip the parties? Still will get questions...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had the same similar situation Wed. night. I got together with old college friends.  My husband has been out of town all week so I had to go solo. I was able to cover my tracks beacuse I had to drive home, and made it though! So tough at this point to stay quiet!!
  • Options

I know the "she's not drinking she's pregnant" thing is going to happen to me. Not that I'm a big drinker but when I went out yeah I would have some drinks. We have the parties at our house too. Eh what are you going to do right?

I think your excuse was good one - sounds reasonable and perfectly legit. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just got through my first meal with friends and not drinking. I began by prefacing (total lie-sorry girlfriends) that I had drank too much the night before. We happened to be at a restaurant that I used to work and even my old boss was surprised I didn't get a drink. I'm not sure if they totally bought it but I wasn't telling! I'm hoping it's a total non-issue but they both had martinis and I had to bold-face lie. [:/]
    imageimage
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It really ticks me off when I feel like my friends are pressuring me to get drunk if I choose not to drink one night, or drink very little. I kind of went on a dry spell after the first of the year because I thought it would help me drop a few pounds and we had some birthday parties with friends. So much pressure ugh!! Well good luck and let us know if you have any other dodging stories!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"