Single Parents
Options

New here

I am hoping to make some friends and find some support here. I am moving out of our apartment tomorrow and DH and I are getting a divorce. Why am I so scared to talk to an attorney? I am just so scared about everthing. Here's my story:

DH and I have been married for 3 years...yeah only three :(  DH is verbally and emotionally abusing me and I had to call the police on him last week because he was threatning to hit me. We have been going to counseling and he is unwilling to look at any of his problems. Our counselor said she can't help bim because he blames everyone else for his problems. He became enraged and left our appointment. She looked at me and told me I need to leave as soon as I can and contact an attorney regarding custody and all that stuff. This has been coming, I knew it but wnated to try everything in my power to save our marriage, but the thing is...I can't do everything, there has to be two people willing to work. If you are still reading this, thank you I know it is long. Any advice?? I am staying with my parents with DS right now. I can't believe this is how my life is turning out....sorry, I'm just sad.

** Sorry for any spelling.grammer, I am just spewing and venting. Thanks ladies :) 

Re: New here

• Options

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I think you will find a lot of support here. 

You need to contact a lawyer first thing- to protect yourself as well as your child. You need to set up a custody/visitation arrangement and get child support in place. You also need to find out about who is responsible for financial things such as rent/mortgage etc...

Be sure to document everything! Save texts, and try to communicate via email so that you have proof of what was said.   Keep track of contact, visits etc... This is very important and could come in handy if he tries to say anything different.

The whole situation is very scary and it takes time to settle. But, you need to protect yourself and your baby- therefore you need to contact a lawyer ASAP.

Best of luck!

Kirsten DD 4-7-06
  • Options
    I'm sorry. It sounds like you did what you could and good for you for leaving. I've seen firsthand an abusive relationship and I still remember the fear I felt. Good for you for not letting that be a part of your son's childhood. Document everything and do what you have to do. GL! (((Hugs)))

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry. It sounds like you have tried but you are right, in order for it to work he'd have to try too. I wish you and your LO good luck. It was hard for me at first when I left and hard for a while but you will feel tons better in time and you won't have to put up with hearing those things and being stressed about your husband all the time. Come here anytime you need support!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Making that first step toward your new life is a very scary move, but keep your head up and take each day one at a time.  As scary as actually taking that leap and talking to a lawyer is, do it as soon as possible,  I waited 6months to talk to one and was still as scared as I was when I would think about going 6 months earlier.  No one is every really ready to do this but you will amaze yourself with how strong you are. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies :)  ::::hugs::::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"