Infertility
Options

Help! What happens if you suddenly stop Metformin?

I haven't been to an RE in months and months... and I just looked at my bottle of Metformin that he prescribed and I see that it expires July 29th -- or a few days ago -- I hadn't planned on going back to see him any time soon, but it looks like if I don't I might not be able to get this refilled.  

Could I ask my OBGYN, who I'm working with now, to write me and Rx for Met?

Could I ask my RE to refill the Rx sight-unseen? Its' not like I'm going to suddenly and miraculously stop needing Met.

Is my blood sugar going to soar and my organs shut down if I choose to do nothing?

Can I be any more dramatic? 

Re: Help! What happens if you suddenly stop Metformin?

• Options

I'll bet your obgyn would do it if they know you have been on it all along.  Or, you might be able to just call the RE's office and get it refilled w/o going in for a visit.  But if you have a gap... don't worry.  I've gone off it before for a little while and it was no big deal (except then you have to get used to it again when you start it up later -- GI issues, etc). 

GL!!

• Options
    Phew!  That makes me feel a lot better. I love that doctors -- any doctor -- can write a prescription for just about anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I went off my Met about a month ago...and have had no problems (unless you count lack of GI issues as a problem! I'm enjoying not having to run to the bathroom all the time!)

I would think your OB/GYN might be able to do that for you. I get my Met through my OB/GYN  (he is the one who put me on it, since I haven't gone to an RE yet)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    SAIFW
  • Options
    mm29mm29 member

It's not a huge deal if you take rx that is a few days expired.  The other day I was talking with a pharmacist that I work with, he said when meds are expired it typically means that the med is 90% efficient.

::: Married June 2003:::
    TTC #1 since: Aug. 2008
    Me: 34, DOR, MTHFR-A1298C (heterozygous), decreased blood flow to uterus, Mild Endo
    DH: 38, Balanced translocation 5&10, unexplained MFI, normal SA and SCSA
    Tx History: IUI 1&2= BFN
    IVF# 1 W/ICSI= BFN
    IVF# 2: cancelled d/t no response
    IVF# 3= 1 egg retrieved=immature/not viable
    IVF# 4= c/p
    ***CCRM ODWU***
    Found DHs BT and Me-decreased blood flow to uterus
    Recommended DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. Decided to cycle locally
    ***New RE***
    DE IVF# 1(cycle #6) w/pgd, (freeze all): 30R, 23M, 15F, slow/poor embryo development, 4 biopsied, 1 Normal "Norm"; DE IVF w/PGD, incorporate electro-acupuncture. 
    IVF# 6: (OE/DS) cancelled
    IVF# 7: (OE/DS) 1R, 1M, 1F, arrested day 5
    Plan-DE IVF# 2 (cycle #8): DE/DS in May 2015

http://icanhazbabyz.blogspot.com/
    imageimage image 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"