Breastfeeding
Options

Did you

breastfeed when you DC was delivered? When I had DD I was on magnisium sulfate so I couldn't for 48 hours. I had some BF issues last time and had to stop bc I had such a low supply. I want to do whatever I can to make sure I can do it this time.

If you did BF after delivery did you ask or did they offer?

Re: Did you

• Options
    Yes, I breastfed almost immediately in the delivery room. They pretty much told me to- lol. The bad thing is though- when we got moved to the recovery room (from the delivery room) after a while I asked when I should feed her again and the new nurses said, oh, it said on your paperwork that you weren't breastfeeding! Glad I asked...
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I didn't ask, it was just an automatic thing. After the doctors looked him over and cleaned him up, he was given to me for bonding and he nursed right away. I was actually being stitched up for a long time due to tearing so I held him for over two hours before family came in.

I can't recall if anyone (drs, nurses) asked me if I planned to bf or if they just assumed. A little later the day he was born, a lactation nurse came to make sure he was latching okay and everything.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, because they hit the blue light and a team from the NICU was in our room within a minute of him being born.  He was okay and I got to hold him after just a few minutes, but the nurse said he wasn't sucking b/c of low muscle tone and she didn't want us to get frustrated.  We still did skin-to-skin and got to nurse after the doctors checked both of us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member

I could not breastfeed my first baby (he was born with a birth defect) so instead I started pumping right away with a pump from the hospital, so I could start with my milk supply.  But, I knew that I was not going to be able to breastfeed so I was prepared to start pumping once I moved to the recovery room an hour later.  He was handed to me right away though.. so if it was possible I would have tried.

With my 2nd I was able to start nursing right after he was born, pretty much started when he was first handed to me & latched on like a champ.

& I had to wait a little longer with my 3rd since he had the cord wrapped around his neck and stopped breathing (I can;t remember how long, but maybe 30 minutes) - he started breathing on his own within 2 mins.  But as soon as he had in my arms gave it a shot & latched right on.

My doctors & nurses knew that I planned on nursing.  I would definitely make sure everyone is aware, so if you do have a problem again they can help you - even by pumping to get your milk started & definitely request a laction consultant in the hospital! 

But don't feel guilty, you don't want to set yourslef up to be dissapointed if for some reason it did not work out. It's okay. Feeding your child is all that matters!

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options
    lynseflynsef member
    imageJ.R.LANDRIGAN:

I didn't ask, it was just an automatic thing. After the doctors looked him over and cleaned him up, he was given to me for bonding and he nursed right away. I was actually being stitched up for a long time due to tearing so I held him for over two hours before family came in.

I can't recall if anyone (drs, nurses) asked me if I planned to bf or if they just assumed. A little later the day he was born, a lactation nurse came to make sure he was latching okay and everything.

this, almost exactly.  My mom was so mad that I didn't let anyone in the room until after she nursed on both sides, but I wasn't about to give up that time with DD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS was put on my belly right after he came out and right after DH cut the cord I was able to feed him (or attempt anyways, he was screaming and didn't latch right away). They didn't even take him to weigh and finish cleaning him until about an hour and a half after he was born.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options

I BF pretty soon after my DS was placed on my chest. He started moving down to my boobs trying to find my nips!

They didn't really say much besides "you can try breastfeeding him."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"