Upstate NY Babies

Birthdays, Baby showers, etc.

If you have any type of party where gifts are a big part, do you ever not open the gifts?  I see this question asked a lot on the 9-12 month board, but I seem to remember it for bridal and baby showers too.  And there are always posters who say to skip opening gifts or that all the parties they go to the gifts don't get opened.  I get that if it is a big party, it takes a lot of time.  And for 1st bdays, maybe people ask bc the child can't actually open the gifts, but the parents still can and ooh and aah over how fun it will be or how cute it is.

Don't people like to see the recipient/parent open gifts and like to see the other gifts?

Is this a regional thing or what?

Re: Birthdays, Baby showers, etc.

• IDk, but I love to watch gift opening! I take pride and enjoyment in purchasing gifts, I want to see them get opened! It also gives me ideas for the next gift giving occasion!

I have been to very few parties where they didn't open the gifts.

• wendyjwendyj member
    Every party, either my showers or Ian's bdays, I've been prodded to open presents. I think it's expected where I live. I happen to like watching gifts being opened. It feels good to know that the person receiving them enjoy them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally think that you should always open gifts at the party.. But I once read in one of those like etiquette columns that you should NEVER open gifts at a party.. I don't get it... I thought that a part of the party..
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • as much as i hate opening gifts I think you should open them at a party.
  • I like watching them being opened but I HATE opening. I am a very expressive person and super bad at faking when I like something, I always feel like people can tell.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only party where we don't open gifts in front of all the guests are at Graduation parties where they usually just get cards and $$ or weddings. All other occasions the gifts get opened.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMelissaSue81:
    I personally think that you should always open gifts at the party.. But I once read in one of those like etiquette columns that you should NEVER open gifts at a party.. I don't get it... I thought that a part of the party..

That is so strange!  I can't even imagine how akward it would be as you leave.... "Well I hope little johnny likes the uhhhhh present"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"