Parenting after 35

night feedings...doc's recommendation

So I told the doc DS was still getting up every couple hours instead of STTN; and she said some babies are different however LO should be sleeping 7 hours straight.   She also said we should stop the night feeding because we might be forming a bad habbit.  What do you think?  I get what the doc is saying but I'm not sure I want to stop the night feedings because DS is hungry.

What do you think. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: night feedings...doc's recommendation

• How many times is he getting up?  I know you posted about it earlier in the week, but I don't remember.  Can you try dream feeding before you go to bed?  Given what I've read, heard and our pedi said, it seems like getting up once a night for a feeding is pretty normal until 8-9 months, especially if you BF.
  • rsd12rsd12 member

I talked to our pedi about this at 4 months too & her recommendation is if the baby is hungry to feed them especially if they are breastfed.  You could try to first soothe & then if still seems hungry to feed.  At first I thought it would form bad habits (I thought it was my fault #2 did not sleep), but I think it depends on the kid (since I did not do anything different with #3). 

All my kids did different things too -

boy 1 - pumped milk, bottle fed - slept thru the night at 1 month - he is still an amazing sleeper

boy 2 - breastfed, woke every 2-3 hours until 9 months, woke 1 time a night until recently (ugh) for milk.  He was my snacker.

boy 3 - breastfed, woke every 4 hours until 9 months, now sleeps thru night (unless teething). 

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Loading the player...
  • Every couple of hours seems a lot at that age. I didn't breastfeed but we stopped the dreamfeed at 5 months and she started STTN (12 hours). Turns out she didn't actually need the dreamfeed anymore so it was helpful to drop it then. I think your DS might just start eating more during the day if you stop feeding him at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • M.AmyM.Amy member
    You might try just soothing him the first time he wakes up. If he wakes up again then probably he is hungry. 
  • DD was still getting up about three times a night at four months.  I BF'd, but I don't remember what you do.

Can you send DH in first?  If LO just needs soothing, he will settle down for DH, but if we wants to eat, he will fuss until you arrive.  This will not work immediately, however.  If DH does not usually soothe him, it will be at least a few days until LO adjusts and accepts DH as soother at night.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Hmmm... at around 3 months Aaron self-weaned from his middle of the night bottle. He just started STTN on his own most nights.  And the nights he did wake, it was not for a bottle.  He slept well until he started teething (just before 6 months) and then it was 2.5 months of pure hell with constant wakings?and seldom for a bottle.

There have been a few times over the last months when we've given him a bottle in the middle of the night, but it's after an hour of trying to get him back to sleep and a last resort.

I guess it's not a bad idea to see if waking for the bottle is habit or not. He's a good weight, so as long as he's getting enough during the day he should be able to skip the night bottle.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"