Breastfeeding

One or both boobs?

Do you only feed on one side or both? And why?  At the hospital I was told to offer both sides for 15 minutes each to establish BF. I just kept doing this although I let LO eat as long as he wants but will usually switch sides between 15-20 min.
Andrew James born 7/9/10 @ 7:13pm - 7lbs 14oz & 20in Baby #2: EDD 11/2/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: One or both boobs?

• I did both up until about two weeks old, then I just nursed on one until he unlatched on his own. I never had problems with supply or anything. During a growth spurt I find that I have no problem nursing on both if needed. I feel milk let down in both just about every two hrs. My Dr suggested that I feed for 10 min on both to increase my supply for pumping and storing for going back to work but I guess I'm just lazy so I just pump whenever I get the chance.
  • I nurse on one side because I have an oversupply and this way, the baby gets a good balance of foremilk and hindmilk.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRCH151:
    I nurse on one side because I have an oversupply and this way, the baby gets a good balance of foremilk and hindmilk.

I decided to start doing this as well. Otherwise, I tend to spray everywhere.  it gets messy!

• My LO won't feed on both sides most of the time. This means we're on an "every hour" schedule. It's 10-15 minutes pretty much every hour unless she's sleeping very deeply. Then it gets spaced out to 2-2.5 hours. I wish I could get it spaced out more, but she seems to be doing well, so I guess I'm thinking it's OK. It's early yet too. We're only 13 days old so hopefully things will even out soon.

I keep reading that "average" is every 2-3 hours on both sides so I think that's where I'm feeling like something is wrong.

• BOTH! Twice over...

... supply issues...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"