Parenting
Options

So, do you strive for perfection?

Do you try to be the best person you can be or are you content to be who you are? 

Re: So, do you strive for perfection?

• Options

I am your typical Type A

• Options

To answer you post question....yes, and I consider it to be to my detriment.

I get angst if things aren't "just right" in terms of parties, the tidiness of my house, etc....  I often wish these things wouldn't bother me...I'd be a more laid back person!

Melanie ~Ava Grace 7.20.06 & Lila Jane 7.22.09~ m/c #3 6/18/08 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemelmax:

To answer you post question....yes, and I consider it to be to my detriment.

I get angst if things aren't "just right" in terms of parties, the tidiness of my house, etc....  I often wish these things wouldn't bother me...I'd be a more laid back person!

I agree, it is a detriment!

• Options
    I *am* perfect. There is no need to try.

• Options
    No, I strive for happiness. At the end of the day I don't want to be perfect, I just want to be happy - and I want the same for everyone around me that I love.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMayorMcCheese000:
    No, I strive for happiness. At the end of the day I don't want to be perfect, I just want to be happy - and I want the same for everyone around me that I love.

Ugh. I wish! Granted, there are facets of my life that I am able to achieve this, but in a majority, the need to try to be perfect eats me alive. Its like, who am I trying to impress? Really? But, clearly I am.

And, what eats me alive is the determination, and, then, the failure. Because, the hardest thing about having perfection be so important, is the failure part. And, I fail. A LOT.

• Options
    I am talking more like whole life, not just whether or not your house is clean or you have the right favors for a party, but that you are the kind of person you want to be, like you know, understand, spend time on the things that are important to you, volunteering, religion, having a certain type of home for your family in the philosophical sense, travel, work, whatever floats your boat, but do you continuously try to improve toward perfection, or are you just content to motor along on your steady course. 
  • Options

imagebelle204:
    I *am* perfect. There is no need to try.

We knew that!  I already know the answer for you.  You try to make your life better all the time :-)

• Options

I accept my faults but that doesn't keep me from trying to improve upon them. But there are just some things I'll never be great at and that's ok. 

For example: I suck at math.  You won't catch me staying up late working on algebraic equations to improve my skills.  I'm content with my math skills that I've only expanded to include information that is useful to me in my line of work.

Self awareness is all about moderation.  You can't be "perfect" in every way but you should be "perfect" in the ways that matter most to you.

• Options
    imageMelandJeff:

imageMayorMcCheese000:

Ugh. I wish! Granted, there are facets of my life that I am able to achieve this, but in a majority, the need to try to be perfect eats me alive. Its like, who am I trying to impress? Really? But, clearly I am.

And, what eats me alive is the determination, and, then, the failure. Because, the hardest thing about having perfection be so important, is the failure part. And, I fail. A LOT.

Don't get me wrong I struggle with perfection too but I have really learned to cut myself some slack lately and focus on happiness. I used to drive myself crazy if the towels weren't folded just so or if the flowers weren't displayed properly, but then I realized that Better Homes and Gardens wasn't gonna be knocking on my door anytime soon so who was I busting my ass for? Striving for perfection wasn't making me happy, it was making me neurotic. To me it is all about self-dialouge. My initial reaction is always to "perfect" something but then I seriously tell myself, "Courtney, dude, get a grip, the world is not going to end if xxx doesn't happen/look perfect/turn out perfect, whatever.

Regular come to Jeebus talks with yourself Mel, that is my reccomendation!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageJOEBunny:
    I am talking more like whole life, not just whether or not your house is clean or you have the right favors for a party, but that you are the kind of person you want to be, like you know, understand, spend time on the things that are important to you, volunteering, religion, having a certain type of home for your family in the philosophical sense, travel, work, whatever floats your boat, but do you continuously try to improve toward perfection, or are you just content to motor along on your steady course. 

While I do think that you either ARE that way, or you AREN'T. You cant really pick and choose how you are- its a personality trait. So, one kind of goes in hand with the other, IMO. That being said,I am quite content with the way things are in my life in this regard. I couldnt ask for a better husband, more awesome kids, a better job, or better health. I volunteer- not as much as I used to or would like, but, I dont feel like a lesser person because if it. I focus that time on my family and making sure that my kids are being nurtured and molded into good adults. Still working on The Teen.

I am content with our home,  and I feel like if we did have a huge mansion, I would be riddled with guilt. I do frequently feel guilty for what I have- but I also appreciate what I have and cherish it.

• Options
    imageMayorMcCheese000:
    imageMelandJeff:

imageMayorMcCheese000:

Don't get me wrong I struggle with perfection too but I have really learned to cut myself some slack lately and focus on happiness. I used to drive myself crazy if the towels weren't folded just so or if the flowers weren't displayed properly, but then I realized that Better Homes and Gardens wasn't gonna be knocking on my door anytime soon so who was I busting my ass for? Striving for perfection wasn't making me happy, it was making me neurotic. To me it is all about self-dialouge. My initial reaction is always to "perfect" something but then I seriously tell myself, "Courtney, dude, get a grip, the world is not going to end if xxx doesn't happen/look perfect/turn out perfect, whatever.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.....most people don't notice if your kitchen floor wasn't washed the night before a party. Alas, I do have to say that it does make me happy when my house is neat, my garden is thriving, etc.  With the chaos of 2 young children, having the things in order that I CAN control, makes me feel more peaceful at the end of the day.

Melanie ~Ava Grace 7.20.06 & Lila Jane 7.22.09~ m/c #3 6/18/08 image
  • Options
    imagemelmax:
    imageMayorMcCheese000:
    imageMelandJeff:

imageMayorMcCheese000:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.....most people don't notice if your kitchen floor wasn't washed the night before a party. Alas, I do have to say that it does make me happy when my house is neat, my garden is thriving, etc.  With the chaos of 2 young children, having the things in order that I CAN control, makes me feel more peaceful at the end of the day.

You know, I am a TOTAL control freak, I suppose it is all related.

• Options
    Awww, thanks. My serious answer is that there is no such thing as perfection. People and their lives have flaws even if we don't see them. All one can do is work to improve their life as it pertains to their personal fulfillment and not the standards of society.

• Options
    Well I am a Virgo & do try (& not so much in superficial ways but the grand scheme)---but I fall short....very, very, very short. 
  • Options

perfect's overrated. That's my motto. Smile

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Options
    I strive to be the best person I can be, but no, I don't presume that I'll ever attain perfection and I'd rather not burden myself with that type of expectation. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"