Breastfeeding

Can I just vent?

I've had mastitis 3x since June 8th - the longest I've been infection free between occurences is one week, so they're assuming it's the same infection not going away.  I called after 3 days of this most recent infection because, even though it's improving, the breast is still reddish (more maroony, maybe - fading, but still there).  The nurse hemmed and hawed and finally said that was "unusual" but to give it longer.  Now it's sore again and still discolored and I'm annoyed because I don't know if it's still the infection or if I have yeast again (I literally took my last diflucan the day before I got this infection).

Then my husband called the pedi 2-3 days after I started this med because DD is having liquid green stools and wanted to know if it was a side effect of the medication and the nurse tells him that's not a concern because it's digested in my body first and wouldn't affect the baby.  Ummm, really?  Then why do BFing moms have to give up foods their babies have intolerances to?  That made no effing sense.  She just said there's a GI thing going around and if it lasts longer than a week to call back.

Now I have to wait until Monday to call my office again and if they change my med and I have to take another full course of something else I'm going to cry.  I feel so awful that all these meds are possibly messing with LO's system and making me nauseous and run down and at this point I pretty much assume it'll be back in a week, anyway.  I just want to BF my baby, why can't the stupid bacteria leave us alone??

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Can I just vent?

• woah dude. that is a lot of mastitis.

As for the green stools, that can be the baby getting too much foremilk. You may want to feed longer on one side so they get hindmilk. That's just what I've read is that green poop = not enough hindmilk. 

• imageSkruffy:

woah dude. that is a lot of mastitis.

As for the green stools, that can be the baby getting too much foremilk. You may want to feed longer on one side so they get hindmilk. That's just what I've read is that green poop = not enough hindmilk. 

Yeah, she only nurses off one side at a time and I don't have any signs of oversupply.  It just started about a week after my first antibiotic course in June and the LC seems confident it's the antibiotics, it just is a lot runnier this time around (but I'm also on a stronger antibiotic).  I guess diarrhea in the baby can be a side effect.  We just don't know for sure since I haven't been off the meds long enough at any point for her system to recover.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • So sorry you are going through all of that! BFing is hard to begin with (for some) and to have to deal with that on top, ugh... You should win an award or something.

I have been so lucky to not have had to experience any of this... And have still had my own challenges with BFing, if i had this to deal with too you could probably stick a fork in me!

GL... I hope it gets better and those pesty buggies stay away!!! 

High risk momma: Diagnosed with a partially abrupted placenta at 32 weeks and sentenced to strict bed rest for the remainder. Pregnancy Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"