Natural Birth

Relaxation techniques/Breathing..

So, I have been practicing my hypnobirthing and hypnobabies relaxation tracks.  Everytime I try to do the breathing I feel like I'm about to pass out and can only do it like 1 or 2 times before I have to stop and catch my breath.  LO is really high and I know this is probably what is making it so difficult. It is getting really frustrating b/c I want to practice the techniques but I can't relax when I feel like I can breathe.   Anyone else have this problem, suggestions, does it get better??  Thanks!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Relaxation techniques/Breathing..

• I can't keep to that woman's sloooooow pace either.  I try to concentrate on just taking deep breaths and mentally counting up on inhale and down on exhale.

• I did not take any birth classes, hypnobirthing or any other....but I found that when I was in labor...I was pacing the bathroom during the contractions and when one would come on...I would hum through it....focusing on staying in key. Now, I am no singer or musician at all...but this is what I fell into totally naturally and it worked!  I can honestly say I felt pressure but no pain. I was deeply focused on my breathing and humming these notes.

My dilation happened very quickly and my birth was only 5 hours.  I can tell you that in the moment....you will be able to do what you need to do if you are able to focus with little distraction and truly concentrate.

• Loading the player...
  • Breathing is something that you develop. It's like in yoga---you're "supposed" to breathe through movements in a certain way but when you first begin it's impossible! It takes practice.

Plus, like a PP mentioned, our lungs are all compacted which definitely makes it harder. I think the intent of the focused breathing is the most  important part at this stage. 

DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Thanks everyone!   I will definetely keep this all in mind when I practice again..  And thanks for the humming advice, I will have to try this out!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will tell you that I was surprised that the tune I was humming was one I had heard before. In the film Glory about the first black regiment in the civil war...the film starred Matthew Broderick, Carey Elwes, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman. There was a scene...the night before they went into battle all the troops were hanging around a fire and sharing little interludes and when each one did their talking, the rest of the group hummed this little melody ...it was only 2 notes....mmmmmHmmmmm  mmmmmhmmmm mmmmhmmmm.  That was what I hummed and I would experiment with the pitch.  Random Huh? It just came out like that.  And sometimes depending on the intensity of the contraction it was loud....but in my head at the time it sounded beautiful and it blocked out everything else.  Good luck...I hope it helps you in the moment!
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33gMP47Wd4  you can hear them humming at starting at around 2minutes in this clip which includes the scene I referred to. It is loudest during the moments when Denzel Washington gets up to speak.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"