Parenting
Options

Spend Christmas away from home?

Every year we do abig christmas eve dinner at our house for dh's family, rush to clean that night, get up early, open gifts, rush to my inlaws, do breakfas a nd gifts there, rush to the airport by noon and head to florida to spend a week in Florida with my parents.  This year dh suggested going the week before and coming home on christmas day, meaning no christmas morning at our house, but at my parents....how would you feel?  right now feels fine, but will I regret it later?

Re: Spend Christmas away from home?

• Options

do what my brother does...1 year he spends with his inlaws in NC where they live and the following year he comes here in NY with his family.  Granted they do not have kids but it works for them.

What you are doing now doesnt sound like a whole lot of fun all that rushing around.

Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • Options
    DH and I have always had the policy - One holiday, One family. Pre and post kids. I'd switch every other year to FL for Christmas, every other year at home. But if you have to do both, i really like your DH's suggestion. The schedule you have now sounds so hectic.
    DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally, I'd feel better flying home on Christmas Eve.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We spend every other year home on christmas morning.  I dont mind it.  We stay at my grandparents house so we put the Santa gifts under their tree.  I only take the small ones and her stocking the bigger ones stay home my bil puts them under our tree on christmas day or eve so when dd comes home santa also came to our house.  I hate rusing around even when we stay home we have a nice breakfast with bil and his son and do gifts leave town about 10 am to see family its only a 2 hr car ride not a flight. 
  • Options
    imagebrightning:

Personally, I'd feel better flying home on Christmas Eve.

Thought of this, but I really like to spend one meal with each family, especially my parents..I am their only child and dd is the only grandchild. 

• Options
    If you are the only child why don't your parents come to  your house?  I would not be uprooting my kids to go to grandparents house when there are no other relatives there.  jmo
  • Options
    We usually do the every other year of Christmas at home--last Xmas we did because I was very pregnant.  This year we are going to my parents house and I am excited!  All my Christmas's had the same tradition growing up and I miss it.  I do love our Christmas's at home too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Why don't you just skip the Christmas morning breakfast with your ILs?  Do gifts the night before and you'll have much more time to get to the airport on Xmas day.  I don't like to be away from my house on the actual holiday.  Plus, you'll either have to do a delayed Christmas OR haul all of your DD's gifts home.
    L 7/06 E 8/07 L 6/10 imageimageimage
  • Options
    I agree with the one week with one family one with the other.  Do not travel every year, you want your kids to have those memories.  I am already dreading Christmas as my kids get older because my brother has been having Christmas day at his house for years but I do not want my kids to have to rush every year, I plan on getting there late so my kids can play and if anyone has an issue they can kiss my a$$...I am pissed at my brother right now if you cannot tell.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    We live in MI and I love the yearly winter escape to warm and sunny Florida.  DH is a teacher, so we can only travel during holidays. Still havent booksed yet..still deciding!! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"