Breastfeeding

Pumping and getting nothing

I AM TRYING TO PUMP TO INCREASE SUPPLY BY PUMPING AFRERAFTER FEEDINGS. I GET NOTHING. SHOULD I KEEP PUMPING? FOR HOW LONG? ALSO DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT YOUR SUPPLY VARIES DAY TO DAY? SEEMS I HAVE  ONE GOOD DAY FOLLOWED BY ONE BAD DAY OVER AND OVER

Re: Pumping and getting nothing

• I would keep pumping.  Even though nothing is coming out you are still telling your body to produce more milk.  I would pump for 10 minutes after each feeding. 

When I was EBFing my supply varied, but now that I'm EPing it is consistent.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • it varied definitely by how well I ate and how much water I drank. Drink looots of water! And Amy had good advice too.

• Loading the player...
  • They say you should only try for 5 mins as it may result in over used, sore nipples. My milk supply does seem to vary day to day so I would just suggest to keep with it and on the days you aren't getting much dont stress it.  You're baby is probably getting enough :)
  • Sometimes I have to really massage or squeeze my boob before I get a good letdown.  And I also have to pump on the initial setting for about 3 times as well.  Doesn't always work but I'm noticing that ocassionally it will.  I had myself so stressed over pumping when LO was first born but I've realized that he is getting the milk he needs.  Even after I would pump and put him on the same boob there was still a ton of milk in there.  It just didn't all come out with the pump.  Pumping is harder for some people than others and can be a PIA. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh I don't know how often your LO eats but I found that if I wait an hour then pump I at least got anywhere between 1/2 to 2 oz.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"