Attachment Parenting
Options

Escalator fail

At the airport the other day as I was walking towards the down escalator to baggage claim I noticed a woman with a 3 or 4 year-old in an umbrella stroller walking the same direction.  I couldn't help rubber-necking and turned around to see her push the stroller with the child in it onto the escalator in front of her.  The whole thing didn't fit on a step and was leaning forward at about a 45 degree angle.  The lady just told the kid to hold on and proceeded nonchalantly down the escalator.  I'm not sure if the kid was buckled in or not, but either way...sheesh!

I don't have that much escalator experience since I grew up in a small town with small buildings, but the only time I encountered one while DS was in his stroller we took the elevator.  Do people often put kids in strollers on the escalator?  It scared the crap out of me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Escalator fail

• Options
    I hate seeing that and I almost killed MH because the first time we took LO to the mall he used the escalator to go up rather than the elevator.  I lectured him the whole time but as soon as he started heading that way to go DOWN I ripped the stroller out of his hands and headed toward the elevator.
  • Options
    No.  And there are usually big signs saying not to take strollers on them.  Idiots.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of people do this. Despite the signs warning of the danger. They just don't get it.
  • Options
    I was at the mall a few weeks ago and saw a lady with a pretty good sized stroller going down the escalator. I guess since it didn't really fit, it got stuck and when she got to the bottom she couldn't get the stoller out! The people behind her were having to walk up (even tho it was going down), she was having to keep taking steps to keep from getting pulled on top of the stroller and some guy ended up jumping over the side to grab the stroller to get it out! I could not believe it! What was she thinking?!
  • Options

imagekabrooke:
    I was at the mall a few weeks ago and saw a lady with a pretty good sized stroller going down the escalator. I guess since it didn't really fit, it got stuck and when she got to the bottom she couldn't get the stoller out! The people behind her were having to walk up (even tho it was going down), she was having to keep taking steps to keep from getting pulled on top of the stroller and some guy ended up jumping over the side to grab the stroller to get it out! I could not believe it! What was she thinking?!

that's so scary!!

my mom took us down the escalator all the time in the stroller.  i never thought anything of it but obviously it is not the safest.  now i will only do it if i can carry DD and have DH hold the empty stroller on the escalator.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"