January 2011 Moms

Long distance 'gender' reveal ideas?

Sex reveal sounded weird, so I used the word gender. ;)

Anyway, both our families live really far away, so the typical 'cake' ideas don't work for us.  With DD went sent them a bouquet of pink flowers, but we want to do something different this time.  Any ideas?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Long distance 'gender' reveal ideas?

• Doesn't anyone just call anymore?

I'm sorry, this isn't directed at you, I've just been shocked by the number of people who are having "gender reveal" parties or cakes or sending special gifts.  Is that what everyone is doing now??

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Our family lives close but we won't necessarily see everyone to reveal the gender.  I think I am going to take a picture of DS holding a pink or blue balloon and maybe include a sign that says it's a boy/girl to send via text or email.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're doing the cake thing for the family that lives close, for everyone else we'll probably just send an email or text. I don't have the energy to call everyone and talk for an hour each about names and decor and all that.  ;)
  • I think just giving a phone call is best, but that's just me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are doing a Yahoo IM chat room with the grandparents and me and DHs sister and brother. It's easier to tell everyone at the same time instead of making 5 different phone calls, especially with the time change (my parents and my brother and his wife are an hour ahead of us).

• I just sent a text with DS.

You could do a cute card or something, though. 

• I guess I am just a lot more impatient than most of you ladies.  With DD, I wasn't even out of the parking lot from the big u/s before I had texted and called about 25 people.  Everyone I knew before I made the 10 min drive back to work!
  • imagemchupie:

Doesn't anyone just call anymore?

I'm sorry, this isn't directed at you, I've just been shocked by the number of people who are having "gender reveal" parties or cakes or sending special gifts.  Is that what everyone is doing now??

We are just calling.  We did the big reveal stuff when we revealed we were expecting.  Ideas?  I like the pink flowers for a girl.  Maybe for a boy blue flowers?  They have blue carnations right?   

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imagemchupie:

I would love to just call, but my mom was 'disappointed' when I called to tell her I was pregnant with DD because my brother/SIL gave her a cute "I Love Grandma" bib (they live close to her).  Confused

So she 'expects' something creative... sigh.  They loved the flower thing, maybe we'll just do that again.

• imageKeriMac:
    I guess I am just a lot more impatient than most of you ladies.  With DD, I wasn't even out of the parking lot from the big u/s before I had texted and called about 25 people.  Everyone I knew before I made the 10 min drive back to work!

Haha.  Well, where we lived when I was pregnant with DD, they didn't tell you in the u/s.  You had to wait until you were after 21 weeks, and then the tech sent the sex results to your care provider, and it was up to them to tell you.

I guess there were a lot of abortions based on gender, so they made you wait until you were too far along to have an abortion (around here).  So I called my MW when I was 21 weeks, and when they called back with the results, it was easy to call and order flowers to be delievered right away. 

By the time I was home from work, our parents knew, so I posted it on FB for everyone else.

• I like the balloon idea if you're looking to do something different.  Pick up 5 pink and 5 blue balloons on your way home and take a picture of you or your daughter holding the whole bunch then handing you the right color.  Then your little girl can play with them the rest of the day!  You can email or mail them the picture.
  • I'd involve Neriah somehow... either take a pic of her holding appropriately-colored balloons, or set her up so she's playing with all pink toys or all blue toys... and then send that pic as an email to the families.

Or if she has a little doll, dress it in all blue or all pink, with a matching blanket to make it extra obvious, and take a pic of her pushing it in a stroller with a caption saying, "practicing for her little brother!" or something along those lines. Then they get a keepsake picture AND an announcement, all in one. ;)

• imagefirsttimemama:

imageKeriMac:
    I guess I am just a lot more impatient than most of you ladies.  With DD, I wasn't even out of the parking lot from the big u/s before I had texted and called about 25 people.  Everyone I knew before I made the 10 min drive back to work!

Haha.  Well, where we lived when I was pregnant with DD, they didn't tell you in the u/s.  You had to wait until you were after 21 weeks, and then the tech sent the sex results to your care provider, and it was up to them to tell you.

I guess there were a lot of abortions based on gender, so they made you wait until you were too far along to have an abortion (around here).  So I called my MW when I was 21 weeks, and when they called back with the results, it was easy to call and order flowers to be delievered right away. 

By the time I was home from work, our parents knew, so I posted it on FB for everyone else.

Do you mind saying where this was?  I've heard of this in China where couples are limited to one child, but I've never heard of it anywhere else?  Just curious.  FWIW, I think that's awful.  I wonder if anyone in this area is aborting based on Intelligender results.

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imageSBear12:

Or if she has a little doll, dress it in all blue or all pink, with a matching blanket to make it extra obvious, and take a pic of her pushing it in a stroller with a caption saying, "practicing for her little brother!" or something along those lines. Then they get a keepsake picture AND an announcement, all in one. ;)

DH and I love that idea!  Thank you so much!  Neriah just started 'rocking' her baby, where she stands and sways with a very serious look on her face while holding her baby.  It's adorable.  We're going to do a short video clip of her doing it and send that!  So cute!

• imageizzourclue:

Do you mind saying where this was?  I've heard of this in China where couples are limited to one child, but I've never heard of it anywhere else?  Just curious.  FWIW, I think that's awful.  I wonder if anyone in this area is aborting based on Intelligender results.

Ya, we were in the Abbotsford, BC area (about an hour from Vancouver).  There was only one lab that would even write down the results, so we actually had to drive like 40 min. just to find out!

• imagefirsttimemama:

Wow, that's so awful on several levels.  That they withhold medical information because you can't be trusted with not abusing the information.  Or a population in your area actually does abuse the info.

Definitely not the case here.  Heck, TN state legislature would love nothing better than to be rid of the first trimester abortion.

• imagemchupie:

We'll probably up and call family and just tell 'em.  They're all so far away, sending a long distance gift seems kinda odd to me.

As far as work and FB:  I'm no party person, but I'm kind of a cryptic, sly little minx.  I like to see who's paying attention and not asleep at the wheel ;)  I was slightly sneaky when I announced, I'll probably do the same thing again with the sex reveal.  Maybe make some treats with little pink or blue decorations (without being pink or blue food), leave them in the breakroom and put out the office APB for everyone to figure out WTF.

• imageTheQuietGrrrl:
    imagemchupie:

We'll probably up and call family and just tell 'em.  They're all so far away, sending a long distance gift seems kinda odd to me.

Seriously. Call or text or do an online chat.

I despise the concept of gender parties, cakes, balloons, etc.

Really, no one cares as much as you do anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelarrysdarling:

I wish that was true for us, but I'm pretty sure our parents care more than we do!  Haha.

• imagefirsttimemama:
    imagelarrysdarling:

I wish that was true for us, but I'm pretty sure our parents care more than we do!  Haha.

LOL, definitely the same for us. We've had many, many anxious friends and family members ask us specifically when the big u/s is. But I'm always really interested in finding out about my friends, too.

FTM, glad you liked the baby doll suggestion! I might have to steal my own idea, actually. :)

• imageSBear12:

LOL, definitely the same for us. We've had many, many anxious friends and family members ask us specifically when the big u/s is. But I'm always really interested in finding out about my friends, too.

FTM, glad you liked the baby doll suggestion! I might have to steal my own idea, actually. :)

I agree, I'm always excited to find out about friends.  I think I would honestly love to go to a gender reveal party for close friends and family.

And I give you permission to take your own idea... haha.  It's a great idea!

• We're  just calling over Skype so we can see their reactions. lol  We'll be in Hawaii when we call our parents to tell them (I find out tomorrow, surprising hubby on our anniversary on Weds on vacation)
  • imagefirsttimemama:
    imagelarrysdarling:

To the first part, I disagree, a lot. 

To the OP, I agree, my mom would force it out of me tomorrow if she didn't understand how important it is for hubby to know first.  lol :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"