Military Families

I may belong with you ladies soon..

DH is to be sworn in to the Navy sometime within the next month.  I am super excited but nervous at the same time about all of this.  I think it is an amazing opportunity for him to do what he loves and serve his country, but I'm also nervous about being on my own with DD(she is a little over 3 months now).  Of course I know I will survive everything, it's just such a new experience for me.  

Any Navy families on here with some tips?  I look forward to getting to know all of you!  Thanks in advance. 

Re: I may belong with you ladies soon..

• Hi and welcome.  There is a link in my siggy that has a ton of info.  You may find some of it helpfull.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hello! My DH is Navy Submarines, which is a different experience from Surface Ships, I'm told.  What will your husband be on? I've only been stationed in CT and NH because of this, but I've visited st mary's, GA. 

It's hard with DH on submarines, because you're only allowed to email them, with no pictures, but when they're on 6 month or longer deployments you can send tons of packages! Surface ships I think can email and call more freely, I think.  The good thing is they only go out on 6 month deployments, never any longer, and never more than one 6-month in a 2 year period.  They do do little ones so they can be "out" 9 months out of the year, just broken up into smaller underways.  But that's just for subs, I don't know much about ships!

There's tons of family resources!! We're at a smaller base, with a command that's on the "older" side, so family support isn't as good as other boats, but I still feel like there's tons of resources!!  You'll meet the ombudsmen, who is a wife volunteer and the main communication source with the navy that you'll have.  Make sure to get her number and email! The Navy is slow about things, like different moving reimbursements, clothing allowances/pay, etc. and dates and things change all the time with them, so just be prepared to be flexible and you'll be fine!!

That's all I can think of right now, but feel free to PM me or ask the board with any questions! The women here are soo helpful!!

• Loading the player...
  • imagelifestooshort128:

Hello! My DH is Navy Submarines, which is a different experience from Surface Ships, I'm told.  What will your husband be on? I've only been stationed in CT and NH because of this, but I've visited st mary's, GA. 

It's hard with DH on submarines, because you're only allowed to email them, with no pictures, but when they're on 6 month or longer deployments you can send tons of packages! Surface ships I think can email and call more freely, I think.  The good thing is they only go out on 6 month deployments, never any longer, and never more than one 6-month in a 2 year period.  They do do little ones so they can be "out" 9 months out of the year, just broken up into smaller underways.  But that's just for subs, I don't know much about ships!

There's tons of family resources!! We're at a smaller base, with a command that's on the "older" side, so family support isn't as good as other boats, but I still feel like there's tons of resources!!  You'll meet the ombudsmen, who is a wife volunteer and the main communication source with the navy that you'll have.  Make sure to get her number and email! The Navy is slow about things, like different moving reimbursements, clothing allowances/pay, etc. and dates and things change all the time with them, so just be prepared to be flexible and you'll be fine!!

That's all I can think of right now, but feel free to PM me or ask the board with any questions! The women here are soo helpful!!

I live in st. mary's, DH is a Marine though.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

•   Thank you ladies!  DH will likely be on a surface ship.  We're still figuring things out with what job he is best suited for and what he will enjoy the most.  He got his ASVAB scores and it looks like he won't have too much of a problem with job selection, but I honestly have no idea what the scores mean.  I was a Navy brat when I was really young, so I can't remember a lot of what goes on.  
  • Welcome :) DH is Navy, but neither on Ships nor Subs. We are stationed in San Diego. The Navy has been great to us, but like a pp, they can be slow about things. It took 4 months to get our reimbursements for our partial dity move. Also, definitely get in contact with your Ombudsman. They are the link between the command and families and will be sure to pass on valuable information. As well, while the boys are deployed, they typically (at least ours did) have get-togethers for the families. Really is a great support system.

Again, Welcome and Go Navy! 

• I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if your DH is going to be on a surface ship deployments can be longer than six months at a time and there is the possibility of more than one 6 month deployment in a two year period. It all depends on which ship they are on, which strike group they are a part of, what is going on in the world, and when in the deployment rotation your DH starts his tour with the ship. I don't want to freak you out, but that is the reality. Definitely get to know your ombudsman when you report to your duty station, and if there is an FRG (Family Readiness Group) within your DH's command they will also be a good resource. Another good resource is to go to Fleet and Family Support, they are an excellent resource for information on many topics, from being a brand new Navy Spouse to going through deployments. They offer classes and counseling and there is an office located on every base. Sometimes it does take a while to get a straight answer from the Navy, and it can be frustrating, eventually everything works out. Good Luck with everything and welcome to the Navy!
  • I'm a Marine wife but I just wanted to say welcome. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCaffeinatedMommy:
      Thank you ladies!  DH will likely be on a surface ship.  We're still figuring things out with what job he is best suited for and what he will enjoy the most.  He got his ASVAB scores and it looks like he won't have too much of a problem with job selection, but I honestly have no idea what the scores mean.  I was a Navy brat when I was really young, so I can't remember a lot of what goes on.  

Def have your DH ask around about the true lives of the different jobs.  My DH is an ETNav on subs and gets home really late, when i know my friend's husbands, who are in different divisions, get home around 4 or 5 most nights!! Each job does get a different enlistment and re-enlistment bonus too, and the difference can be tens of thousands of dollars!! Two good things to ask about when he's deciding!

• He'll be hard pressed to get an enlistment bonus right now. The services are all over-manned and we're at the end of the fiscal year. If an enlistment bonus IS offered, find out why. Is it because they deploy more often, they have high fatality rates, they work non-stop, or people hate that job and don't stay in? Don't let a bonus be the motivating factor in which jobs he picks. He needs to pick something he's passionate about.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • imagelifestooshort128:

imageCaffeinatedMommy:
      Thank you ladies!  DH will likely be on a surface ship.  We're still figuring things out with what job he is best suited for and what he will enjoy the most.  He got his ASVAB scores and it looks like he won't have too much of a problem with job selection, but I honestly have no idea what the scores mean.  I was a Navy brat when I was really young, so I can't remember a lot of what goes on.  

Def have your DH ask around about the true lives of the different jobs.  My DH is an ETNav on subs and gets home really late, when i know my friend's husbands, who are in different divisions, get home around 4 or 5 most nights!! Each job does get a different enlistment and re-enlistment bonus too, and the difference can be tens of thousands of dollars!! Two good things to ask about when he's deciding!

Hey I'm a Navy wife too!  DH is at A School right now, he finished basic in June.  

I second getting info from people who are in the Navy about various jobs.  I have a few friends who retired and AD Navy and DH asked them a lot of questions, some jobs they flat out said, you don't want to do.  Some jobs are just a better fit for different personalities.   DH did not receive any bonus and it took him about a year to even get in, he was part of the DEP program. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"