January 2011 Moms
Options

Frankly not having much of a problem waiting to find out the gender

Just have to say, I am excited to find out the gender.  But frankly it stresses me out a bit.  Only because I have been using it as an excuse to not worry about shopping yet and once I find out, I know its time to make some decisions.  Every time I think about picking out a crib, I go cross-eyed.  

On a more serious note, I get irritated when people think about the big u/s as simply a fun time when you get to find out the gender.  Its actually the u/s where you will find out for sure if you baby is developing normally or if LO is having major issues.  I am excited for the big u/s, but knowing the potential implications, I will probably feel like throwing up right before. 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Re: Frankly not having much of a problem waiting to find out the gender

• Options
    MrsYamMrsYam member
    imageizzourclue:

Just have to say, I am excited to find out the gender.  But frankly it stresses me out a bit.  Only because I have been using it as an excuse to not worry about shopping yet and once I find out, I know its time to make some decisions.  Every time I think about picking out a crib, I go cross-eyed.  

On a more serious note, I get irritated when people think about the big u/s as simply a fun time when you get to find out the gender.  Its actually the u/s where you will find out for sure if you baby is developing normally or if LO is having major issues.  I am excited for the big u/s, but knowing the potential implications, I will probably feel like throwing up right before. 

Thank you!

I COMPLETELY understand that is SUPER exciting if you want to find out the gender of your unborn child, but I was and will be worried until I see my baby and that it gets a clean bill of health. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Same here, with my daughter I had ultrasounds (for medical reasons) at 18, 22, 30 and 35 weeks and we didn't know the gender until our 35w one so I'm not holding my breath for this time around.

It's exciting but certainly not something I would spend extra money on.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

A few of the birth month boards have actually had a "respect the ultrasound" post, where OP asks everyone to please refer to the 20 week ultrasound as the "anatomy scan", not the "gender ultrasound".  Most people tend to respond well, and agree, but there are a few who get all pissy about it.

I completely agree with you.  Finding out the sex of your baby is a distant second to making sure that baby is developing normally.

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Options
    imageizzourclue:

Yes

ETA: I also hate when people tell you to have something sugary before the u/s so that baby will be jumping around, you know, "cause it's so cool to see them hyper in there!"  Ya, but that's not the point of the u/s, and the tech probably won't be able to get the proper measurements! 

If you want to have a fun u/s where you see your LO dancing around, pay for one and eat as much sugar beforehand as you want.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I completely agree with you. I see the big u/s as very nervewracking because I really want to see a healthy, normal baby, regardless of the gender. And then once I know the gender, I am actually going to have to stop procrastinating and start researching. I am so afraid to make the wrong choice!

Thanks for posting about the big u/s not being about gender. 

BFP 1/8/10, missed mc 2/15/10, baby @8w3d. Natural mc 2/23/10 Goodbye our sweet little peanut. We love you so. Every lament is a love song...
    Harper Oksana, born on her due date, January 20, 2011, and the love of my life
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm with you, OP.  I'm excited to find out the sex of the baby, and the excitement can head into impatience from time to time - but to be completely honest, I am far more anxious/nervous about the anatomy scan than I am excited about finding out the sex.

Plus, I feel almost team greenish even though I'm planning to find out the sex, because nothing about the anatomy scan will change my shopping/planning at all.  

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options

I agree.   It really bugs me that people seem to forget all the other important information that comes from that u/s.

• Options

DH and I waiver on finding out the sex or not. Not be a downer or anything, but now that we have a 1:160 chance of an NTD, finding out (or not) the sex doesn't even really matter. We just want to see a healthy baby and if not a healthy baby one that will still have hope for a rich life despite adversity.

• Options
    MrsYamMrsYam member

Also to add...

Medical science has gone leaps and bounds since WE were born. ( I was born in 82') I know my mum never got an ultrasound. She never even got to hear my heartbeat until she was well into her 3rd trimester with a normal stethescope. 

I'm so thankful to be able to see my little one on a screen and see it move and yawn. I love hearing the HB at my appointments. I think a lot of people take this kinda stuff for granted. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefirsttimemama:
    imageizzourclue:

Yes

ETA: I also hate when people tell you to have something sugary before the u/s so that baby will be jumping around, you know, "cause it's so cool to see them hyper in there!"  Ya, but that's not the point of the u/s, and the tech probably won't be able to get the proper measurements! 

If you want to have a fun u/s where you see your LO dancing around, pay for one and eat as much sugar beforehand as you want.

Maybe that's why our LO is a maniac at our appointments... all I can get down is fruit. Never thought of it that way.  

• Options
    ekmebmekmebm member
    imagecdobry01:

I'm with you, OP.  I'm excited to find out the sex of the baby, and the excitement can head into impatience from time to time - but to be completely honest, I am far more anxious/nervous about the anatomy scan than I am excited about finding out the sex.

This.

I get an ultrasound at every single appointment because I'm high risk, so in between appointments I like to delude myself into thinking that if there was something MAJORLY wrong they would have picked up on it at my last appointment....it keeps the stress level down between appointments.

Being high risk, I'm ALWAYS aware that something could be/go wrong at any time in this pregnancy...but to keep myself out of the nuthouse I try REALLY hard to focus on the things I can look forward to...seeing baby, hearing heartbeat, finding out sex, ect....instead of stressing about what they could find wrong at the next ultrasound.

Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have to say, now that many of my symptoms are gone I mostly just want to see that the baby is ok and growing right. Don't get me wrong. I am very excited to find out the sex because that means I can shop. Still, with all the posts I have seen on the bump about things going wrong even this late in the game, I won't be breathing easy for awhile. I almost wish I didn't know that I am technically not out of the woods, even at this stage of my pregnancy. Ignorance would have been bliss. 

• Options
    ekmebmekmebm member

imagehot_tamale:
    I almost wish I didn't know that I am technically not out of the woods, even at this stage of my pregnancy.

Not to be a total Debbie Downer, but the reality is, that we will never be out of the woods...any of us.

Something can go wrong with ANY pregnancy, at ANY time, including during a full-term delivery. Once the baby is here we have to worry about SIDS and RSV and all sorts of other tragedies. Once they're kids we've got a whole new set of problems to worry about at night. Truth is, the worry never goes away....my Dad still has panic attacks when he can't reach me immediately by phone.

But we can't spend our lives in a panic over things that haven't happened to us yet, and according to statistics could, but likely won't. Just appreciate what we've got today.

Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageekmebm:

imagehot_tamale:
    I almost wish I didn't know that I am technically not out of the woods, even at this stage of my pregnancy.

Not to be a total Debbie Downer, but the reality is, that we will never be out of the woods...any of us.

Something can go wrong with ANY pregnancy, at ANY time, including during a full-term delivery. Once the baby is here we have to worry about SIDS and RSV and all sorts of other tragedies. Once they're kids we've got a whole new set of problems to worry about at night. Truth is, the worry never goes away....my Dad still has panic attacks when he can't reach me immediately by phone.

But we can't spend our lives in a panic over things that haven't happened to us yet, and according to statistics could, but likely won't. Just appreciate what we've got today. 

Very very true. I am usually pretty upbeat. I have just been more worried lately, which is completely unlike me. Thanks for the reminder to focus on the positive. I needed to hear that. :) 

• Options
    I am completely excited about finding out the gender.  I'm really nervous about finding out how big s/he is going to be.  Especially since every dr. I see lately has to point out that both of my other 2 kids would have been over 10 lbs. if I had went to my EDD.  Thanks for that!  I know! 
  • Options

imagehot_tamale:
    I have to say, now that many of my symptoms are gone I mostly just want to see that the baby is ok and growing right. 

Me, too. I have a regular appointment on Tuesday and I am so anxious to hear the HB again.

I've been worried about all the hiking we did at high altitude in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. My doctor said hiking at high altitude was fine, just to stay hydrated. Well, idiot me decided to ask Google after DH and I got back from a moderate hike at about 11,000 feet. It said, "If you are having trouble breathing, your baby is, too." I freaked out, "OMG, Pip couldn't breathe! What if Pip's little heart stopped beating, and I have no symptoms of a m/c?! ..." Ugh, I need to calm down and trust that everything is okay.

And, while I'm excited about the possibility of finding out the gender at the anatomy u/s, it's been kind of fun not knowing what Pip is. Smile

• Options
    imageizzourclue:

Agreed.  

• Options
    We had our anatomy scan yesterday and I was super nervous heading into the hospital...  I wanted to see 10 fingers, 10 toes, and all of the other things that I have trouble identifying -let alone understanding- on the ultrasound.  My tech did a good job of pointing things out as she measured them and narrating along the way, but I still don't know half of what all they looked for/at.  All I know is that they said everything looked great and I had to trust that they knew what they were talking about.
  • Options
    I have to say I'm one of those people who is focusing on the excitement of the "big" ultrasound. I'm a worrywart by nature, so if I focus on the "big" ultrasound being an anatomy scan where they will check for abnormalities, I'll just worry myself sick and think of the worst case scenario options. Worrying isn't going to change the outcome, so I'd rather focus on the fun part, which is seeing my baby again and finding out the sex.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"