Parenting
Options

To my WH0RE-ticulturist nesties, help! Hostas.

I recently re-planted some hostas. Like, a LOT of them. Maybe 10? anyway, since I  moved them, (same amount of sun, same soil type, etc) they have started to turn light brown. ALL of them.

What is wrong and how do I fix? Or, are they pretty much toast now?

Re: To my WH0RE-ticulturist nesties, help! Hostas.

• Options

I am not a green-thumb by any means but I did plant some baby hostas I have been trying to nourish all summer. I will occassionally get some brown wilty leaves. Usually I just pluck the dead and water the shiit out of them and it seems to help them to perk up.

So that is my advice, water the shiit out of them and see what happens.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hostas are pretty resilient...they're probably just adjusting to the move.  It's likely because you moved them in the middle of the growing season. Give them some time and a little extra water to help them re-establish their roots.  I bet they'll be fine. 
    Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageKapalua:
    hostas are pretty resilient...they're probably just adjusting to the move.  It's likely because you moved them in the middle of the growing season. Give them some time and a little extra water to help them re-establish their roots.  I bet they'll be fine. 

This. They generally recommend that you move things either in the Fall or the spring....in the summer, their root system is established and reaching deeper into the soil, and like Kap said, during their growing/thriving periods. I think they'll bounce back, but next time, consider doing this in september or April.

Melanie ~Ava Grace 7.20.06 & Lila Jane 7.22.09~ m/c #3 6/18/08 image
  • Options
    YodajoYodajo member

I don't think its possible to kill hostas.  They are like weeds.

They're probably in shock.  Has it been very hot since you moved them?  I would just keep them watered and they'll be fine.  If they have any flower spikes, I would cut those off so they can focus their energy on getting reestablished.

DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ditto the above, it's probably too hot to move them, but they are so aggressive that they'll be fine for next year.  Also, it's getting toward the end of the season for them, so even if they weren't moved they'd start looking a little worn anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"