Natural Birth
Options

Using a Horse Trough as a Birthing Pool **PIP**(beware naked-belly shown)

After researching and trying to find an affordable, yet comfortable "pool", we opted for the trough.

The 'fishy' pool did not seem deep enough and I was afraid the sides may collapse.

Also, since we have a cat, we really did not want to go for anything inflatable that we would have to rent, if kitty decided to go happy feet on it, that would have been the end.

We found the trough for $69.99 at a local farm supply store and cleaning/lining it was super easy.

Anyone else use a trough or thinking about it??

This is it before padding it:

After padding and lining:

Trying it out!!

Re: Using a Horse Trough as a Birthing Pool **PIP**(beware naked-belly shown)

• Options

I have a friend who did this. Worked great for her! It's the perfect size, too.

I had my baby in a jacuzzi tub. I liked being able to hold on to the sides and push my feet against the end. Looks like you'll be able to do the same, if you want to. I love it!

• Options

I know people that have used the trough and loved it.

I used an inflatable pool, which my cat did puncture...it was easily repaired though and we only had to pay a minor fee to go towards a new pool since we likely hampered the its longevity. Ah well....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would never have occured to me, I love it!  If I go with the midwife I am leaning towards, she lends out her pool.  But this is a great alternative.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That looks awesome!  If we weren't planning on having the baby at a birth center, I would definitely get a trough.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options

I want it when you are done! (lol- just kidding but my horses would love a second trough)  What a good idea!

• Options
    Just curious--what did you pad and line it with? I am still sort of toying with the idea of a homebirth, and this is definitely something I'd consider in lieu of an inflatable pool (3 cats here!).
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    This is exactly what we are using! Big Smile DH and I just got it cleaned out, padded and ready to be lined.
    Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Options

imagejayellekay:
    Just curious--what did you pad and line it with? I am still sort of toying with the idea of a homebirth, and this is definitely something I'd consider in lieu of an inflatable pool (3 cats here!).

I used pillows, which we placed in large garage bags first, to pad it. Then we are using a "heavy duty professional drop cloth" from Home Depot, which we'll just duct tape in place. It looks like OP ordered a true liner, perhaps.

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • Options

imagejayellekay:

Like pp said, we just used pillows for the bottom, on one side I made it a bit elevated, almost like creating a stool for me to sit on.

All around I duct taped a comforter so the entire thing is padded :))

I bought some 'moving' tarp from Uhaul and lined it with that first but after trying it out it seemed too crinkly and I did not like it so I actually ended up buying fleece backed vinyl at a fabric store. The vinyl is completely water proof and the fleece on the back gives it a nice soft feel to it.

Just make sure you hit every crack with tons of duct tape to avoid water leaking into your padding or bag your pillows like pp suggested.  I will probably give it a test run this weekend so I will update the post with results on leaking (if we have any.... hopefully we will not).

HTH

• Options
    That is such an awesome idea. I always wondered about the inflatable ones, since they are not really deep, and I want to be under the water as much as possible for that floating feeling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"