Breastfeeding

Freezer Stash set to "expire" What to do?

I can admit to going a little overboard on building up a freezer stash, but since I had supply issues with DD, I wanted to be better safe than sorry.  Well, kinda backfired because now I have 0 supply issues (unless you count over-supply) and I have been tossing a lot of milk lately because it stayed in the fridge too long.  I haven't even touched my freezer stash, which goes back to May. :S  I really want to give DS the fresh milk (mine only stays good in the fridge for about 3 days, not the 8 days all the info claims), because of the antibodies and because he's going to be in daycare.  I know I should be using the freezer stash, but this would cause me to freeze more milk and perpetuate the cycle. Ugh!   I hate to throw out breast milk, but I don't see me using the freezer stash in time.  I also don't think I'd qualify to donate, because I do take OTC meds for allergies.  

Re: Freezer Stash set to "expire" What to do?

• If you give her frozen milk and freeze the milk that's freshly pumped you will perpetuate the cycle, but now that milk won't expire for another 3+ months.  If you don't have a TON of milk you need to use quickly, you could just add one or two frozen bottles a week, or one a day, or whatever you need to do so that you don't have to throw the milk away.  Eventually you'll wean from the breast or pump and can continue to offer defrosted BM in a bottle or cup.

As far as donation, I'm pretty sure they require screenings and blood tests and that only milk pumped after you've been checked out is acceptable.  I have no idea if it matters that you're taking allergy meds.

GL!

• And I know it sucks to throw away breast milk, but your daughter is getting everything she needs so don't feel too bad if that's what it comes to.
  • Loading the player...
  • KGskyKGsky member
    imagePoplin2007:

As far as donation, I'm pretty sure they require screenings and blood tests and that only milk pumped after you've been checked out is acceptable.  I have no idea if it matters that you're taking allergy meds.

GL!

Yeah, that makes sense.  I did read that to qualify you'd have to be OTC med-free.  Some places don't even want you on a multivitamin!  I guess it's just hard for me to go the frozen route when I know he's not getting as much of the immunity-boosting benefits of the milk.  The irony of my supply issues with DD is that we went through my small freezer stash so fast, she was always getting "just pumped" milk.  I didn't even know then that it had more benefits than frozen, and was wishing I had a bigger freezer stash. LOL  I tell you one thing, that child was never sick for the first year of her life... 

• You could donate through MilkShare.com.  It's an informal site that links you up with families in need in your area.  There is no "official" medical screening, just a mutual agreement between you and the family in need.

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• I also pumped myself into over-supply. To rotate the milk I would give DD one frozen and 2 fresh bottles per day. This way she was getting a little of both and I was rotating my stock a little. Even after rotation I still ended up with a freezer full that I wasn't using. I also donated through milkshare.com. I donated multiple times to 3 different families and had a great experience. You can donate a little as you are comfortable giving at a time and as much as they have freezer space for. Its great.
  • i did a 100 oz donation to a local mom. i think it was through milk share--just really informal, i did not have to provide health records or anything like that. as long as you disclose the meds you're taking, the person taking the milk can decide if they want it or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"