Adoption
Options

RP: Need help understanding this

I've asked this before, but didn't really get any responses. 

At what point during your foster to adopt placement did you get records? 

DDs had TPR for over a year. She's been with us for 5 months and its been an adoption placement the whole time, but we still don't have records and are being told that we don't get them until its finalized.

The adoption papers are being written up right now in preparation to be filed exactly at 6 mo. 

DD has very severe special needs and we need the records ASAP because we're trying to help her get a diagnosis so that we can treat her needs properly.  

Please help me understand if this is normal or if I should be going over people.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: RP: Need help understanding this

• Options

We adopted from Canada's foster system and were given the medical records when we meet with DD's SW and agreeded to adopt her. We had to sign paperwork that we were given the records and understood DD's history. A lot of the info was blacked out.

This was March 2009 before we took placement in September 2009. The adoption was a 2 1/2 year process for us. We were always the only choice to parent DD.

Sorry probably no help to you but this is how it happened for us.

• Options

I'm a family physician and I have a few foster kids on my panel.  From these patients, a few of them have pretty serious problems and came with *no* records.  One mom came with a piece of paper with medications the patient was on and that was all she received from the agency. Like you said, this puts the physician (and mom) at a huge disadvantage in terms of treating the patient.  I would recommend trying to find out who the past providers (clinics and hospitals) were and submit a medical records release form.  The only stumbling block would be if you aren't authorized to sign a medical release.  If you don't even have the information about where your child has been treated, I would find out the area that your child came from and fill out medical records release request forms and sumbit to multiple clinics and hospitals.  If you start with the hospital records first, you might be able to get info on the clinics your child was seen . This is super work intensive but to hazard a guess if you haven't gotten the records after six months, you're probably never going to get them. 

Good Luck!

33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got  medical information about our youngest DS at placement because he was born drug exposed and not breathing, had seizures due to withdrawl, and was extremely underweight at birth ( full term but only weighed 4lbs 4oz).  His pediatrician needed to know as much a possible to treat him.  I would be the CW worst nightmare until I got that information. I would emphasize the need to get your DD the correct treatment as early as possible.  With our other two children, we received very little info until finalization.  Ironically, youngest DS was 12 days old at placement and oldest DD and Ds were 19 mos and 9 mos and DCFS knew they where they were born     and that they received most of their treatment at the local Health Department!
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Options

They have all of the records at DSS. I was allowed to view them in an observation room with someone watching me and DH the whole time for 2 hours. I threw a huge fit and got to come back again for 8 more hours. DDs got a huge list of issues going on--she's on 24 hour g-tube feeds, is only 11 lbs at almost 2 years. Right now the records are being "audited" so even if I drive to the other side of the state, I can't even be observed with them. 

Thanks for letting me know your experiences. I'm going to call on Monday and start talking to bosses and bosses of bosses until I get them.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"