Stay at Home Moms

Short survey of household policies

1. What is your food policy? Whoever wants it, eats it? Or do you save stuff because someone may want the last banana (or whatever) and they hadn't had one yet? or some variation of this?

2. Who locks the house at night (or checks) and turns off the lights? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Short survey of household policies

• 1. Not totally sure I get what you mean, but basically, whoever wants it, eats it. Unless it's something like, I want the last two bananas to pack in the kids lunches and I see DH make a grab for them, then I tell him to eat a peach, instead. Or if it's something I need for a recipe.

2. Last one up locks the doors and turns off the lights.

• imagehellopoppyseed:

1. What is your food policy? Whoever wants it, eats it? Or do you save stuff because someone may want the last banana (or whatever) and they hadn't had one yet? or some variation of this?

My food policy is whoever wants it should eat it.  I believe this is the best way to prevent waste and spoiled food. DH on the other hand, worries that he won't get something and wants to call dibs sometimes.  I don't even know what he might want to eat so I'm all paranoid.  Bad system.  I just realized that he mentioned he might eat some leftovers so I have not eaten them.  Neither has he. Now I wouldn't touch it anyway.  Awesome. 

Growing up, this was the dad's/man's job. Anything having to do with the security of the house is a man thing to me.  DH could care less if the doors are locked and it makes me not trust him to do it.  So I do it.  Yes this was a vent poorly disguised as a survey-but maybe you guys have some better systems for me.  :-) 

• Loading the player...
  • 1.  Whoever wants it, eats it.  Although lately DH has been getting into my Diet Pepsi stash and I'm not very happy about that! :)

2.  DH lets the dog out before he goes to bed so he always locks the doors. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • It's pretty much a free for all, unless I buy something specific for DH to take to work (cereal, for example) and if that's the case, I usually write his name on it so Jordan doesn't open it and eat it.  She's vegan, so a lot of the things that I buy for us she can't eat anyway...so this isn't much of an issue in our house.  If we're running low on something that we use a lot of (fruit usually), I just run to the store and get more.

I always lock up and DH goes behind me and checks the locks before he goes to bed because Jordan is a night owl and will often go outside and sit on the deck if she can't sleep.  Whoever is the last one to go to sleep (either DH or Jordan) turns off the lights.

• imagehellopoppyseed:
    imagehellopoppyseed:

My food policy is whoever wants it should eat it.  I believe this is the best way to prevent waste and spoiled food. DH on the other hand, worries that he won't get something and wants to call dibs sometimes.  I don't even know what he might want to eat so I'm all paranoid.  Bad system.  I just realized that he mentioned he might eat some leftovers so I have not eaten them.  Neither has he. Now I wouldn't touch it anyway.  Awesome. 

Growing up, this was the dad's/man's job. Anything having to do with the security of the house is a man thing to me.  DH could care less if the doors are locked and it makes me not trust him to do it.  So I do it.  Yes this was a vent poorly disguised as a survey-but maybe you guys have some better systems for me.  :-) 

I must admit, this has me scratching my head...are the doors somehow more secure because a be-penised person turned the latch?

• imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagehellopoppyseed:
    imagehellopoppyseed:

I must admit, this has me scratching my head...are the doors somehow more secure because a be-penised person turned the latch?

haha No. I feel perfectly secure when I lock up and I'm happy to not have a penis. But dh and I kind of have our domains that we handle-like I handle decorating, he handles grilling. I also think he should handle household security. If there was an intruder at night or something, I probably wouldn't be the one to go kick his butt. So I see household security (when dh is home) as primarily his responsibility.
  • 1. Whoever wants it, eats it.  If we run out of something I will just go buy more. Also DH never eats leftovers so if they get eaten I eat them.

2. DH usually locks the house at night but he is a little paranoid about it(especially after someone broke into our house a few months ago). He would check the doors to make sure they are locked after I lock them so I just let him do it. He usually locks all the doors when I put the kids to bed. Whoever is up last turns out all the lights.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • 1. Whoever wants it, eats it. If it is a known favorite of someone's (like my Greek yogurt!) we usually ask before taking the last one. 2. Last one in the door locks it. Last one upstairs turns off the lights. I always do the other "pre bed" things like setting the coffee maker and straightening up, though.
  • 1. It's pretty much a free-for all in food, though if I know DH likes something then I'll usually leave the last one for him. It might sound weird, but we have a lot of separate food - DH likes lunchmeat and I don't, I like rice and he doesn't, he likes Coke and I like tea - so this issue rarely comes up with anything other than fruit or milk.

2. I'm generally in charge of locking up but really it's not much of an issue. We lock everything all the time, even when we're home. Officially, though, it's the last one in bed's responsibility.

• 1. If there is one piece of a certain fuit left, we'll leave it for the kids. other than that, whoever wants it, eats it.

1. Either of us lock up & set the alarm. But when I do, DH has to do a double check. lol

• 1. Not really a policy going on but I tend to leave food for DH so he can have quickly for breakfast or pack for a snack at work.  Sometimes he leaves me my favorite like the last slice of pizza.  Other times we both try to save it for each other and then it goes bad and we have to throw it away.

2 DH does the night sweep of lights and locks.

• No, food is pretty much a free for all. We do both on occasion leave things for the other, but we really don't have food wars in the house. Unless he takes my last ice cream sandwich. Then it's on.

I usually do the doors/lights. He doesn't think about it, so either I tell him to and he does, or I do. Again, this is not really a point of contention around our house. We fight over things like laundry, toys and dishes. Oh, and who has to take care of the dogs.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 1. whoever wants it eats it. Though there are some things that I buy just for DH or just for me.. I don't (can't) eat his yogurts. He would never touch the diet soda I occasionally indulge in... or the soy milk ;)

2. DH checks the locks. Whoever goes up last turns off the lights.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Pretty much a free for all here. Who ever wants it- eats it. Including Gisele who likes to hide the peanut butter jar in her crib. I always have to check under her covers. Stinker.

Locking up- well we always lock our doors after we come in the house. We live in a really safe area but we are just kinda programmed that way. so if we are inside the house- the doors are always locked. I am always the last to bed- as i work at night from home. So I shut the lights off before I turn in.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • 1.  I guess we're a free for all in that we all share willingly, but I find that DH asks me a lot if he can eat something when it's a new food.  I guess it's because I do all the food shopping and planning and he wants to make sure it's not something special for me or for the kids.  He's very sweet.  We also like a lot of separate foods, so often we know that the other doesn't even want it.

2.  Last one up locks up and turns off the lights...usually ends up being DH.

• 1) We keep each other in the loop if something is "our" food or for a recipe, but other than that, it's free for all. especially right now, since I buy myself my own craving foods, if DH ever tried to steal my frozen apple pie a la mode, he'd be SOO dead. LOL I don't generally eat any leftovers, so he gets them. He'll ask me before he puts it in storage-ware if I'm going to have any. If I'm not, and he won't eat it, he'll toss it.

2) DH takes care of it. Even if I assure him that I've done it, he still feels OCD about checking the doors himself. I figure, if he wants to do it, let him. Also, we generally only have the light on in the room we're using. So it's last one out of the room, turns off the lights. Usually him because my "ready for bed" routine is longer and I'll leave a minute or two before he does so we can finish at about the same time and get in bed together! :)

• It's a free for all on the food.

I double-check locks on doors and windows - I wouldn't sleep well if I hadn't. 

• 1.  A lot of our meals are planned and leftovers are anyone's grab.  If we go out to eat and we have leftovers, we don't eat each other's leftovers without asking.  The only thing we really save is the milk if we're running low.

2.  Whoever goes to bed last turns off the lights.  If we go to bed at the same time, DH usually does it.  We don't really check the lock.  We always keep our doors locked.

DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • 1. I don't think we have a food policy.

2. Usually me because DH gets home from work at 3 am. When we're both home, whoever goes to bed last does it. 

• 1. Ask before you eat the last one.  I also have signs for DH, eat this not that kind of thing.  He has a huge appetite and more then once I have made something for an event or something else and he has eaten it.  Which is super frustrating.

2. We go to bed at the same time so we share.  We have a very false sense of security though and more then once we have to gone to bed with the doors unlocked.

Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • 1. Everything is fair game unless I tell the kids that it's for (their) dad's lunches. 

2.  DH usually checks/locks the doors, we both do the lights.

DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. Whoever wants it gets it unless it was bought for a specific person

2. DH always checks the locks and turns the lights out.

• 1. Whoever wants it, eats it.

2. Husband always checks before bed. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"