Baby Showers

Do you think it's tacky to....

have the baby shower at the home of the expecting mother? I am not throwing myself the shower - my sister and my best friend are - but we will just be in settled in our new house around the time of the shower...I have a huge living room, plenty of parking, and would love for people to come visit, see the house, stay as long as they'd like, etc. Obviously this is NOT a combo housewarming / baby shower. It is JUST a baby shower - tea party theme - but would be hosted by my sis in my home....is that strange? acceptable? comfortable?

I always like attending showers in someone's home b/c everything is a little but more cozy and casual ....I just didn't know if it was ok if it was in MY home.

Also, I would like to know I was saving my sister a little money. She is still planning to get caterer/help etc but at least wouldn't have to rent a venue. What do others think?

Thanks!

Re: Do you think it's tacky to....

• As long as you are not hosting I think it's perfectly fine. Especially since you will be in a new house I'm sure people will love getting to see the house too. I have been to showers at the mother-to-be's home and not thought twice about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I think this is absolutely fine.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • I don't see anything wrong with it. And as an added bonus, you won't have to figure out gift transporting. :)
  • Totally fine.  And especially nice for the mom-to-be because she doesn't have to transport the gifts, and the guests get to see the nursery (which they always love.)
  • Thanks so much, ladies! I just started to feel paranoid I guess! But you bring up good points too about not having to lug the gifts and guests seeing the nursery while they are there too! I really appreciate the feedback!
  • I had my shower for baby #2 at my house and we are having my shower for baby #3 at my house too (we've moved since so it's a different house).  But, anyway, I think it's fine as long as people know that someone else is hosting.  I like for everyone to be able to see the nursery!
  • My aunt threw my baby shower at my house. 
  • imageOctGirl80:
    I don't see anything wrong with it. And as an added bonus, you won't have to figure out gift transporting. :)

This exactly!  My shower was almost held at my house because of space issues...I would have loved showing off LO's nursery (as far as we had it together at that point) and not having to travel in the heat!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it's tacky at all, but I wouldn't have wanted to get my house "company clean" when I was that pg.  If you are going to do it, I would enlist help for cleaning pre and post party. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Doesn't sound to bad.
  • I think it's fine. I hosted my best friend's shower at her house with another one of her friends. She had the most space at the time.
  • imageOctGirl80:
    I don't see anything wrong with it. And as an added bonus, you won't have to figure out gift transporting. :)

This is what I as thiking as well.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • imagembenit4:
    I think as long as invitation states who the hostesses are it is ok.

This

• Not tacky! Mine is being held at my house, and even my mom, a faithful Emily Post follower, is okay with it because, like some already stated, the hostesses are all on the invitation. We've verbally spread the word that the main reasons for our house are 1) a centralized location (some of the hostesses are not local) and 2) the weather/ air conditioning. I live in FL, and the shower is in a couple of weeks. We're in the middle of what the local weather station calls "90 days over 90 degrees". Anyone who knows me knows to keep me in air conditioning, especially now that I'm pregnant. Plus, the shower is at 2PM, and FL weather typically includes rain during the summer, which is another reason to be indoors. And I have to admit - I can't wait to show off the nursery's progress! Good luck with yours and have fun! 

• Aw, thanks so much! You too!!
  • I think it's fine as long as someone else is hosting it.  When I go to a shower at the mommy's house, I usually assume that it's because the hosts are from out of town and can't do it at their own home.  I sometimes feel bad for the mommy to be because she has to clean her house and prep for the party, even though she's probably not supposed to have to do any work.  But if you are happy to have it at your home, definitely go for it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was wondering this myself as I'm having two showers at my house and my friends are hostessing. I hoped it wasn't considered tacky. Otherwise, both would have to rent a venue (one lives in a small townhouse, the other a condo).

I went to a baby shower for my friend at her house a couple years ago (she was the mother-to-be). They had just built a house, too. And the guys were invited and hung out and watched a big to-do-football game on the big screen.

imageCourtneyR2N:
    Totally fine.  And especially nice for the mom-to-be because she doesn't have to transport the gifts, and the guests get to see the nursery (which they always love.)

And this :-)

DH is putting the final touches on the nursery as I type this. We have the crib all set up, all we need to do is figure out the rest of the furniture (i've been searching Craig's list, waiting for a nice changing table and rocker to show up for sale)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"