North Carolina Babies
Options

A hypothetical Question

and at this point it is still hypothetical :)

Is pregnancy considered a pre-existing condition for insurance?  Right now we are in between insurance because DH left his old job at the end of June and his new insurance will kick in September 6th.  I'm wondering *if* I were to become pregnant and just not go to the doctor before then if it would still be a pre exisiting.  I don't know how that works  with pregnancy and insurance.  Not saying I'm pregnant...just having some suspicions :)

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

Re: A hypothetical Question

• Options
    I'm not sure, but to be safe I wouldn't go to the dr until after your insurance kicked in. When I signed up for Short Term Disability (while TTC #1), the insurance agent told me if I happened to get pregnant before it kicked in (about a month or so), then don't go to the doctor because it would have been considered pre-existing.
  • Options
    I can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure it is considered a pre-existing cond. Good luck! Hope the timing works out for you guys!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't go until after the insurance kicked in.  We already signed up for it...and I think my insurance goes into effect next month...hmmmm idk.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options
    Is it group or private insurance? If it is group they cannot deny coverage for pre-existing.  Private they can.  We had to do a lot of research last year when DH got a new job while I was pregnant. 
  • Options
    It'll be group...we both have BCBS PPO.  I'm probably worried about it for no reason....

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options
    Its not considered pre existing if there is no lapse in coverage. So your best bet would be either A) don't go to a doctor or B) take cobra coverage for the time between so there would be no lapse.
  • Options

It is not considered pre-existing if your lapse in coverage is no more than 63 days.  I went through this and I went to the dr when I first got my BFP, went when I had no coverage and paid for that 1st appointment and ultrasound out of pocket, then once I had coverage again I went back and had all the expensive bloodwork done.  Here is some info I have on it:

Below are two sources including a governement website describing the 63 Day Grace Period.

If you are in between jobs and previously had employer-based health insurance, it is critical that you avoid a prolonged lapse in medical coverage. Health insurance companies try to control costs by invoking "pre-existing condition" clauses, refusing to cover treatments for a medical condition they say you had before you purchased the health insurance policy. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, HIPAA, protects you from having conditions that were covered by your current health insurance plan being ruled ?pre-existing? when you move form one job, and therefore one health insurance plan to another. However, the HIPAA protections only apply if there has not been a significant lapse in coverage. Under the law, you only have about two months for protection under HIPAA before a future health insurer can turn you down for a new policy based on a pre-existing condition. Under the federal HIPAA regulations if you have had health insurance for more than 18 months an insurance company cannot place a waiting period on pre-existing medical conditions if you haven?t been without medical coverage for over 63 days.
    While you can maintain your health insurance under the COBRA provisions, COBRA is generally an expensive option. Most high-deductible health insurance plans, which have lower relative monthly premium costs, will meet the HIPAA requirements for ?continuous coverage?. Some short-term health insurance policies may also keep you HIPAA eligible, but it is the exception rather than the rule for short-term plans because of their limited scope of coverage. It is best to check with a qualified health insurance professional before you assume that a short-term health insurance policy qualifies as ?continuous coverage? under HIPAA.

Is there a limit to the period of time I can go without coverage between jobs if I want to reduce the length of a preexisting condition exclusion?
    Yes. The break in coverage between one period of health coverage and another can be no longer than 63 days (just over 2 months). If you are between jobs and do not have health coverage for 63 days or more, then you may lose the ability to use the coverage you had before the break to offset a preexisting condition exclusion period in a new health plan.

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• Options
    I opted not to get COBRA because it was way more expensive than the two sick visits I had to take Savannah to and my first appointment and ultrasound.  However, had we had anything uexpected happen that was really expensive, you can get it retroactively.

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"