Pregnant after IF
Options

WWYD

My husband and I are looking into hiring a baby nurse for after the babies are born. (To be clear, the person we would be hiring would not actually be a nurse - that's just the term that agencies use). We've narrowed it down to two agencies:

Agency 1: Does no advertising, run by a single guy for about 10 years through word-of-mouth only. Two couples that we know personally have recommended them to us and they are highly rated at our local Mother of Twins club. However, they provide no contract and do no background checks.

Agency 2: Has a big, fancy website, was highly rated in several magazines and also at the local Mother of Twins club. However, we don't know anyone who has personally used them. They provide a contract, training and background checks. However, they are 30% more expensive than Agency 1.

The women from both agencies would basically do the exact same things. Since we would be using a baby nurse (caretaker, helper, whatever) for about two months the 30% price difference is significant.

What would you do?

Thanks for your help/input!

DX: Him: Super sperm Me: Diminished pituitary function due to tumor removed April 2008, MTHFR Hetero C677T & A1298C
IVF #1-4=BFN IVF #5=BFP! U/S on 5/3 revealed TWINS!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: WWYD

• Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

Is there anyway you can do your own background check?  Can't you just go to a local police station or something and have it done?

If so, I would go with agency #1.  If not, I would be very hesitant to have someone around my children for extended periods of time that I didn't know all about.

Also - you might want to page shipoopiisforme.  She is in NJ and has (or had - not sure if she is still with them) a baby nurse for her twins.  She might be able to help you a bit.

• Options
    I would want a background check for sure before anyone was in my home and around my kids. I guess it would depend on how easily you could do one yourself.
    TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecookie_queen:
    I would want a background check for sure before anyone was in my home and around my kids. I guess it would depend on how easily you could do one yourself.

this! GL, it would be awesome to save that kind of money. 

• Options
    i'm very risk-averse, so i would go for the one that does background checks as well, unless you can somehow arrange to do one yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLCB34:

Is there anyway you can do your own background check?  Can't you just go to a local police station or something and have it done?

If so, I would go with agency #1.  If not, I would be very hesitant to have someone around my children for extended periods of time that I didn't know all about.

This is what I think too. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting anyone near my babies without a background check, but you might be able to do it yourself. I'm not sure about NJ, but in MA it's illegal for adults to work with kids without a background check. Even parent volunteers who come on field trips have to have a CORI check through the police. You just never know who someone really is unless you check.

Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"