Parenting after 35
Options

it happened AGAIN!

For the second time this year, I got asked by a stranger if my girls were my GRANDDAUGHTERS!!! I am 42, but don't feel 42, but I must really look AT LEAST 42. I have decided that I MUST make some changes in my appearance. I know I need to lose weight (kept the weight from baby #2, and added a bit)--I'm beyond pudgy. I can work on that. Hair is long, but I wear it twisted up in a clip pretty much all the time--time for a REAL haircut? Super round face, even when thin, it's round--what EASY hairstyle might work? I always tell the hairstylist (the once or twice a year that I go to one) to just trim it, and keep the length so I can, you guessed it, put it up on my head! I've NEVER had short hair--never shorter than shoulder length. Make up is minimal, but I do still wear it--blush, eye liner, mascara, lipstick--I don't think it's the makeup. Anyone else going through this? It didn't happen with my first one--I had her at 38 and folks couldn't believe I was 38. No one has that disbelieving look now when I tell them I'm 42--does having 2 kids REALLY age a woman?? I need to capitalize on this feeling of "change" I'm having right now--hope I don't wimp out! Encouragement needed!

Re: it happened AGAIN!

• Options

I think people are just getting ruder (and dumber!) It probably has nothing to do with how gorgeous I'm sure you are- it has more to do with their lack of ettiquette!

That said, I think confidence is one of the most attractive things a person can 'wear'. Regardless of your haircut or size or makeup, if you feel good it will show through.

So if you want to change things up and go for a new style for yourself then go for it Momma! But dont do it because some dimwit was rude to you...

Party!!!

• Options
    People are unreal. I highly doubt you look like your girl's grandmother! I can understand you being upset. I would be too. But take it with a grain of salt. Women are having babies later in life and people need to learn to shut it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member

I am sorry!  That sucks, that someone made you feel bad about yourself!   But if you are ready for a little change, then go ahead!  But do it because you want to. 

I think that is the only place I spend my money on is my hair - that I will find a way to fit in our budget!!!!  I have to cover my gray's ; )  I am dreading the day when I need to cut my hair - how old is too old to have long hair????  I figure I will do it when my kids are old enough that I have time to blow dry it straight in the morning ; ) 

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options

Wow. that's just plain rude of them. Sorry you had to go through that.

If you want to make a change, then do it for you, not for rude and silly people who probably will be grandmothers themselves at 42.

Have you considered a pixie cut? I think it's an adorable, modern look that can suit most face shapes. That, or some version of a bob. I have this now and it's really easy - just wash and go.

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Options

Don't feel too badly. It was probably some white trash idiot who became a parent at 14 and never learned that you should be an adult before reproducing.

(((((((hugs)))))))

• Options
    imageDidIShave4This:

Don't feel too badly. It was probably some white trash idiot who became a parent at 14 and never learned that you should be an adult before reproducing.

Hear! Hear!  

And I agree with everyone who said make any changes to your appearance for YOU and not because of morons who can't watch their tongues.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the uplifting words! I don't think the lady said it to intentionally be mean--it was "oh, your granddaughters are so cute!". To me it was a wake-up call--bottom line, to complete strangers, I look older than I am. It is important to me to project an image that matches how I feel--I don't feel 42 (most days!). I do want to make some changes. Thanks for the encouragement to make those changes for the right reasons!

FWIW--I do have a couple of friends my age who are grandmothers, one is a grandmother 4 times over! So I know it's not out of the realm of possibility to be a grandmother at my age--I just picture my 75 year-old mother when I hear "grandmother".

• Options

I'm sure you don't look like a grandmother--people just don't think before they speak.

I have a round face, too, and I usually get a chin length bob.  My hair is really straight and thick, so it has to be layered well or it just hangs there, but if the cut is good I can wash and go.  I used to get into ponytail ruts for months at a time, so that was part of the reason I started getting it cut a little shorter.  I need to get a maintenance cut every 2 months to keep it looking okay.

• Options

I'm 42 and silver, so I totally understand.  What about bangs?  Not "soccer mom" bangs, but either go heavy, like Chrissy Hynde, or wee pixie bangs, like Audrey Hepburn.  Distinctive bangs are a big style move, to me, and I think going for personal style over "flattering to an older face" is actually the more youthful option.  Also, that way you can try out a smaller change and keep your ponytail before deciding to go big.

You could also do one of my favorite, favorite looks with bangs.  I used to do this but I can't since I committed to silver.  Bleach out the underside of your bangs, or a stripe or two on one side, and dye it an awesome, fun color, like blue or purple.  I did black plus various different colors for a long time, I loved it. It depends on what color the rest of your hair is.

ANYway.  You know best, and I am sure you look way better than you think you do.  :) 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imagemrszee2b:

I'm sure you don't look like a grandmother--people just don't think before they speak.

I have a round face, too, and I usually get a chin length bob.  My hair is really straight and thick, so it has to be layered well or it just hangs there, but if the cut is good I can wash and go.  I used to get into ponytail ruts for months at a time, so that was part of the reason I started getting it cut a little shorter.  I need to get a maintenance cut every 2 months to keep it looking okay.

This. I was going to suggest a bob also - if YOU want to change. We have a couple of regulars who post and have round shaped faces and look super cute w/bobs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"