Military Families

AD ladies & maternity uniforms

When did you buy yours/start needing some? My belly is starting to grow and I'm doing the hairties-in-the-buttons trick to keep my pants comfortable, but I know I'm nowhere near fitting into maternity ABU's yet. Should I just spring for a bigger pair of pants, or buy smaller maternity pants now and bigger ones later?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: AD ladies & maternity uniforms

• Your unit can't get them issued to you?

ETA - Could you DX an old pair of pants for a new pair that's a bigger size.  Our supply guy lets us do that.

• No, we only get issued new uniforms when we're getting ready to deploy. Other than that, we have to wait for the yearly clothing allowance to come in, or for me, the maternity clothing allowance- which I have to take to Finance and have deposited in my bank account. Our Supply office doesn't really do exchanges unless you just recieved something from them and it's broken/unusable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm well that's kinda lame. But I also am not AF so things are probably different. LOL. Is YH by chance enlisted? I will probably go from wearing my pants to MH's.  I would just buy a pair of the next size up then move to maternities.  Then that way you have a pair of biggers pants for PP too.
  • The maternity clothing allowance is big enough that you can buy multiple uniforms. Buy different sizes or google AF uniform exchanges or go to the Airmans Attic.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Get some BellaBands. There $12 at Target. I wore them w/my regular ACU pants. They got me through my whole pregnancy because the maternity pants they issued me were too big & they didnt have any smaller sizes.
  • I pocketed the maternity uniform allowance and stole one of my husbands ABU's!  I did buy a set of blues however.  They may seem super huge at the time but keep in mind what your belly is going to look like at 36+ weeks.  You wouldn't want to have to buy another set.  I had to switch to his shirt at 6 months, his pants around 17 weeks.  I thought I read somewhere that you arn't allowed to mix and match the maternity uniform (ie maternity pants with regular ABU top)....  Not sure but thought I would throw that out there.  Good luck!

• I held out to buy maternity uniforms until 22 or 24 weeks, I think.  I went with my pants unbuttoned with no belt for quite some time before then.  Eventually, I had to buy a bigger set of maternity ABUs, too, so make sure you buy plenty big. Even with the second set, by the very end, the stupid elastic in the ABU pants was way too tight, so I just cut it out.  The pants still stayed up without the elastic, but they were much more comfortable.  I hated my ABU maternity uniforms.  There are no pockets!  I never could keep track of a pen without pen pockets.  They also shrunk really bad, so my sleeves were too short.  Hang them to dry if you can.     
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry for butting in...I just realized there was a military board.

Anyways, I was close to 4 months when i switched to the ABU maternity uniform. I hate it. The panel is too short to wear comfortably so I just roll it down. No, you cannot mix regular ABU blouse with maternity ABU pants. I also miss having usable pockets! I cant even carry my knife anymore cause I dont have a belt or the lower leg pocket.

BUT, I think the blues pants are comfy and so light in the summer!

• Please don't wear ABUs out of regs. If you can't wear a belt, wear maternity pants.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Yes, you can mix and match uniforms.  The problem is getting your maternity to match with your regular (being that the maternity will be new and show against your semi-faded regular set lol).  I started wearing the pants first.  Even though my stomach did not fill out the panel, it was much more comfortable since I couldn't button my regular pants all the way. 

LOL at pocketing the maternity allowance- I did that with my first one :)  I was lucky enough that a friend gave me her maternity BDUs when she was done, but this time I had to get everything all over again + the horrid service dress mumu!  Tackiest thing ever...  If you don't need it, don't get it, but keep in mind we are only issued maternity allowance pregnant more than 2 years after the last one.

• Thank you for the replies! I wasn't able to get on yesterday to check up on the post.

Luckily I'm in a job field where I hardly ever wear blues, but I may buy one set anyway for just-in-case. I have a co-worker near my height who said she'd give me her maternity ABU's... I would like to pocket the rest, but we'll see.

As of now, I'm wearing my ABU's unbuttoned with hair ties holding them together, and yes, I am wearing my belt still. The belt is huge anyway, so it'll go a lot longer with loosening. It's just that the pants are quickly becoming uncomfortbale, especially when sitting. My top is big on me too, but I was just asking for some input. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"