Working Moms
Options

Please help me re: potty training!

I am at my wit's end. My son is almost 3 1/2 and rarely has peeing accidents anymore. But going #2 is a different story. He has done it in the potty like twice. Otherwise, he poops in his underwear, pullups, the bathtub, swim trunks, etc. He either just doesnt care, or is too busy to think about it. I think sometimes he holds it in too, because I see "streaks" (sorry) in his underwear. His daycare is starting to stress me out because they want him to move up to the 3 year old classroom but their policy is when they are fully trained. I am worried that he is missing out on the education in the older kid room as well as it will be $80 a month cheaper for me!

Im trying not to pressure him, and dont punish him, but we have tried sticker charts, rewards, etc, Nothing works. He thinks its funny to poop in his pants.

Moms of boys, any advice you can give me would be great. Perhaps he is just not ready, but i am wondering if I am doing something wrong or not doing something I should be.

thank you!!!

Re: Please help me re: potty training!

• Options

My 4 year old is a girl, but I do have a story that might help.  She went through a phase where she thought going on the potty was going to hurt her.  I did everything the books said not to do- and it worked.  I took her into the bathroom when I knew she had to go.  I didn't get angry or upset and just calmly told her that I knew she had to go to the bathroom and we were not leaving the room until she went.  She could either go on the floor or in the potty.  I wouldn't get upset either way.  It upset her for at least 20 minutes, but eventually she sat on the potty and went and realised it didn't hurt.  That was the end of her not going on the toilet and she was so proud of herself.  Books say no pressure... etc.... sometimes you need to apply pressure.

• Options
    Our pediatrician said that poop can sometimes be harder because they feel like they're losing a part of themselves (don't know if this is true or not).  Like pp, we stayed in the bathroom until the poop came out when I knew she had to go.  We're still working on it, but this is pretty much how we trained with pee too (and, yes, I'm talking about my 21 month old).  They'll get it, just try not to stress and remember you can use it as blackmail for girlfriends down the lineDevil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"