Adoption

friend found out they were adopted as adult

this may not be the right place to look for info/advice/etc but I thought id give it a try.

a good friend *just* found out she was adopted. She is well into her adult life with children of her own. Shes having a very hard time with it. She feels very confused, sad & literally sick to her stomach.

Im trying to be there for her as a friend & just listen as she sorts thru this stuff. I can only imagine how tough this is. I wish I had some insight as to how I could maybe comfort her or maybe even guide her in a way that will help her find some healing?? She doesnt know what to do, doesnt know if she wants to find out more about bio parents, etc - shes very lost.

tia 

Re: friend found out they were adopted as adult

• That's so sad that she just found out now.  I would encourage your friend to get counseling.  There are actually some therapists who specialize in adoption issues.
  • imageGo_Dawgs:
    That's so sad that she just found out now.  I would encourage your friend to get counseling.  There are actually some therapists who specialize in adoption issues.

This it must be awful. You can just listen and help her if she asks.

• Loading the player...
  • I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to find something out like that so late in life.  It must be totally disorienting. 

I agree with Go_Dawgs, she should seek some counseling to help her through this. 

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Definitely counseling. She may be able to call area adoption agencies and see if they have specific names to give her for counseling resources.

GL to her.

• that was very thoughtful of you to post. you are a very good friend. i agree on the counseling.  i wish your friend strength during this time.
    After 7 years of marriage and 5 unsuccessful IVFs, we have been granted the gift of adopting a baby boy, born 4/21/11.
  •  adultadoptees.org. Great site for for adoptees only.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"