Working Moms
Options

Scheduling doctor appointments

I used to always schedule my doctor/dentist appointments for the Friday I don't work (I work a flex schedule with 80 hours over 9 days), but since having DS I love using appointments as an excuse to leave work early.  Am I alone in this?  I feel a little guilty about it but also figure they wouldn't give me sick leave if it wasn't supposed to be used.

Re: Scheduling doctor appointments

• Options

Luckily we have no choice in our work schedule.  You either work a 9/80 or 4/10s and the only people who are on the 4/10 schedule are those who've worked at the city I work at from long ago when city hall was closed every Friday. 

I don't take the whole day off to go to the doctor, just a couple hours early.  It used to drive me crazy though when people were always having a doctor appointment on in the middle of the day and taking the rest of the day off.  Now I understand why they do it and I figure a couple hours one day every couple of months isn't horribly bad.  Especially since me being gone doesn't impact my coworkers in a way where they have to do my work.

• Options
    meh - somedays I take a whole day off for my doctor's appointments.  I have leave and I can use it when I want; I don't feel guilty at all.  Its my leave to use as I want. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagembenit4:
    I have one employee who I swear either she or one of her children has a doctor's appointment once a week and it is always in the middle of the day but I don't say anything. Then when her work gets behind she says, "Why didn't anyone cover my desk while I was out of the office." In my mind I think "you are always out of the office."

Yeah, that's not cool.  We have a girl who does the same exact thing, but she covers our public counter so if she calls in then someone else has to go up and that's when we get behind.  

• Options
    My company has a policy that you get two hours for doctors appointments whenever and as much as you want.  Honestly no one I know abuses it and my entire team is quite responsible.  At any rate I have a blackberry so no one ever misses me :)
  • Options

I don't think a 4/10 scheduler should be treated any differently than a 5/8 person.  Someone who is working a standard schedule would almost assuredly have to take time off to go to doctor/dentist appointments, and if it is acceptable as part of the leave policy to use sick/vaca/whatever leave for them to go to the doctor, it should absolutely be acceptable for a 4/10 person to do the same.

That doesn't mean abuse of time off doesn't happen, or that it would be right for a 4/10 to be taking time every week if they aren't meeting work obligations.  Someone working 5/8s could be just as abusive of leave, though, and I've certainly seen it happen. 

• Options
    I purposely schedule my appts so that I can leave early and STILL have a little of the day for "me".  ;)  but I have to use leave to do this, even though I'm salaried.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"