TTC after 35
Options

Sad but moving....long bear with me

Okay, so I'm really annoyed with myself for often posting downer type post..I'm really not a downer of a person IRL, honest.

Saying that, I have to share this because while it's so very sad it's also so moving. 

About a week ago a police officer was shot and killed while on duty.  He was the first police officer in the history of this city to be  killed so it's been a big deal to the city and the surround areas.  Other than the major downtown city I live near, I don't know any city by me that has had an officer killed since I've lived here (my whole life) so this has brought people out in droves to show respect. 

Today was the funeral, so in the city this happened in, all city offices are closed, flags are flying at half staff (or is it mast) and thousands of  police officers are coming in from all over (even out of state) to show respect. The funeral was closed to the public but those who wanted to show respect today were asked to stand along the funeral route. 

Seeing this all on TV is so emotional and moving.  I've seen a funeral procession for a local fire fighter who died of an illness and that was unbelievably emotional  I imagine this one was 1000xs more. 

The officer is being laid to rest at the same cemetery my mom and grandparents are. I went there today to clean up the the flowers that were dead and had to get permission from a police officer, standing at the main entrance, to go through (they were letting all visitors going to see family members graves sights in, no questions).   As it happens, this police officer is being buried right around the corner from my mom. The area was set up and roads were blocked. I hurried up and did what I had come to do so I could leave before the procession arrived so they could have their private time.

As I'm leaving people are lining the streets outside the cemetery, cop cars and fire engines every where..ugh.  I was able to hold it in on my way home (I mean, signs from bystanders reading 'god bless you Cpl HisName, people holding flags, again SO MOVING)

I was just watching the news and they were showing parts of everything that went on and at the end the news lady said 'Police Officers from surrounding cities made it possible for ALL *NameOfCity* police officers to attend Cpl *HisName* funeral by covering their shifts.' OMG! I could no longer hold it in anymore.

It is so amazingly moving how people come together for family members, friends, colleagues of a police officer most have probably never met.  I'm not surprised but it does make me proud of the awesomeness of people.

Sorry that's super long. 

Re: Sad but moving....long bear with me

• Options

That is so sad.  But, every once in a while...people surprise me and do something like that (covering their shifts so ALL the officers could attend)!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow.  That was super sad.  Gave me chills.  Kinda reminds me of 9/11, the way strangers came together with so much love.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is really sad, but so amazing and wonderful that other police officers made it possible for all of the people at his PD to be able to come.  I have a very good friend who is a cop and I know it is so, so devastating when they lose one of their own. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    that is so sad, but i agree, very moving!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"