Working Moms
Options

If you provide health insurance to your nanny, please help!

One of our nannies is going through a divorce and soon to be without health insurance.  As she had always been on her husband's plan (and our other nanny is on her SO's plan) this was a benefit we hadn't  dealt with until this point.  Now that they are getting close to finalizing the divorce we need to figure out how to cover her insurance, so if you cover your nanny's insurance, how do you do it?  Did you find her a program and buy it for her or just provide additional salary to fund it?  She has a daughter who will likely not be covered by the ex, so we will likely need to find her a family plan.  If it makes any difference, we're in NY state.  Any advice is greatly appreciated! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you provide health insurance to your nanny, please help!

• Options

Why would her ex not cover the daughter? It is extremely expensive to buy it on your own, but even more so for a family plan (sorry). A good plan is at least $1,000 a month.

You could do a really high deductible plan. In any case, I would ask around for an insurance broker (local). Maybe give him a budget and see what he can come up with.

If you have more than one nanny, how many hours does she work? I'm sure you want to cover her to keep her, but most companies don't provide health insurance to part-timers, unless it's at least 60%. Just a thought.

• Options
    Sorry, I didn'twant to go into her personal details too much, but it seems that the lawyers have told her that if he agrees to relinquish all parental rights he won't be responsible for the child's healthcare coverage. And yes even though we have 2 nannies she does work 35-40 hrs/wk. My dh works out ofstate 1-2 wks/mo and I work 60-80hrs/wk so I can't imagine finding one nanny to cover all my hrs (including being at the house b/f 5am and sometimes spending the night). I certainly think she deserves the benefit, I'm just hoping there's some way to find it that's not insanely cost-prohibitive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would she qualify for Family Health Plus in NY? My co-worker has her daughter on it (even though we have a very inexpensive plan here at work) and she pays a very nominal fee for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"