Upstate NY Babies

Tell me what you know about croup.

My nephew 9 mo has croup and my Mom's 60th Birthday is this weekend....and we're having a surprise party for her on Saturday which my sister and I have been planning. And I just found this info out this morning. I'm worried about T being around him because of her getting such a bad cough/resp. illness back in January. She was sooo sick for so long. Ended up being 6 weeks total. My sister said well we can just make sure they don't play together or are around each other that day. Won't she still be exposed to the germs though through my sister, BIL, etc??
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tell me what you know about croup.

• I would google and see how long the contagious period is and call your dr to double check.
  • yeah, I would check how long they are generally contagious for.  Croup is no fun.  Reed had it about a month ago and it was pretty bad.  His cough sounded like a dying seal.  When he got over that he ended up with a really bad ear infection and ruptured ear drum.  Overall, not fun.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Croup is super contagious.  And it lasts for weeks.  If your nephew plays with a toy (and coughs on it, or puts it in his mouth, or had his hands in his mouth before playing) and then T does the same, she is exposed.  Honestly, if I were in your position I would go and keep T in the stroller (not have her down playing with the nephew or with toys he may have played with) and cut my visit short.  I wouldn't wanna miss my mom's bday, but I would keep it as short as possible to avoid T getting it.  Or have DH take T back home after the beginning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"