Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Do you regret not getting another u/s?

Hi ladies,

When I went for my 10 wk u/s, no hb was found.  They did an external and then had me empty my bladder and did an internal u/s.  I was there for a very long time (over 2 hours).  My ob told me the tech could not detect any traces at all of a hb.  He gave me the option to wait a few days and go for another u/s just to double-check.  I then asked why?  Is there a chance it could be wrong?  He said no, especially since they did both internal and external u/s.  The ob also gave me an exam and said my cervix was only measuring about 6-7 weeks.  He did not push me either way to get the additional u/s.  Ultimately, I decided not to as I didn't think I could emotionally handle going through it again.  Also, once I knew the baby was gone, I just wanted the pregnancy over with and wanted to schedule the d&c right away.  Once I made my decision, he told me most people opt for what I did (no addl. u/s and d&c) , but he didn't want to push me either way.

I don't regret not getting the additional u/s because I really don't think I could have handled it.  Just wondering if any of you ladies experienced the same thing?

*SAIF* always welcome
TTC since October 2007
Dx with Unexplained IF
IUI #1-3 w/clomid: Jan-March 2010...BFN
IUI #4 w/injectables: April 2010...BFP
1st u/s: 5/17-one little perfect hb@7w2d, 2nd u/s: 6/5-no hb@10w;
missed miscarriage: 6/10 d&c
IUI #5-7 w/injectables: Sept 2010-Jan 2011...BFFN
IVF #1: Feb/March 2011...pretty please let this work!!!!

Expecting twin boys!!!!! Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Do you regret not getting another u/s?

• Options
    elisbuelisbu member
    While I trust my doctor and my body ( I stopped 'feeling' pregnant about two weeks before we found out, I do regret it. I do wonder, my brain knows the baby was not a baby, but my heart would like a double check.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was also given the option for another ultrasound. I did only because I needed that final confirmation so that I wouldnt doubt myself later. I was happy that I did it, But it was very hard. I had the ultrasound the day before my d&c which was a week after my last ultrasound that showed no HB. There were signs that I was finally beginning to miscarry on my own, but I had already started to get ill. So we still went ahead with the d&c the next day...

Im sorry for your loss, No one should have to go through this....

My Blog

Me:26 PCOS, IR, MTHFR c677t/c677t, arcuate uterus DH:27 4% morphology
    11/2006 Married My DH
    Started trying on Honeymoon
    2009/2009 4 failed clomid cycles, many BFN, PCOS Study
    4/2010 5 rounds of femara resulted in BFP!
    6/2010 Lost our little poppy.
    7/2010 DX: MTHFR C677t/C677t
    2/23/2011 Starting first IUI cycle. Follistim and ovidrel. Fingers crossed...
    First IUI=BFN Second IUI=BFN
    9/2011: IUI 3,4,5,6 BFN
    1/2012 New year New plan... First consult for IVF.
    4/3/2012 First day of our 1st IVF cycle..
    5/16 ER 14R 6M 5F (25+ empty follicles)
    5/19 ET 3dt of 2 grade A 8 cell embabies!!! Stick baby stick
    8dp3dt BFP! Beta#1 12dp3dt 136, #2 14dpt 336, #3 16dpt 845
    6/19/2012 7w HB 131!!! 6/27/2012 8w HB 173
    Baby Delaney is scheduled to be induced Jan 30, 2013!!

imageimageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageelisbu:
    While I trust my doctor and my body ( I stopped 'feeling' pregnant about two weeks before we found out, I do regret it. I do wonder, my brain knows the baby was not a baby, but my heart would like a double check.

I love that your ticker says "I was a mom the second I seen that second pink line" That made my heart melt! Its such a true statement. Being a mommy to an angel is a difficult task, one that not everyone understands.

My Blog

Me:26 PCOS, IR, MTHFR c677t/c677t, arcuate uterus DH:27 4% morphology
    11/2006 Married My DH
    Started trying on Honeymoon
    2009/2009 4 failed clomid cycles, many BFN, PCOS Study
    4/2010 5 rounds of femara resulted in BFP!
    6/2010 Lost our little poppy.
    7/2010 DX: MTHFR C677t/C677t
    2/23/2011 Starting first IUI cycle. Follistim and ovidrel. Fingers crossed...
    First IUI=BFN Second IUI=BFN
    9/2011: IUI 3,4,5,6 BFN
    1/2012 New year New plan... First consult for IVF.
    4/3/2012 First day of our 1st IVF cycle..
    5/16 ER 14R 6M 5F (25+ empty follicles)
    5/19 ET 3dt of 2 grade A 8 cell embabies!!! Stick baby stick
    8dp3dt BFP! Beta#1 12dp3dt 136, #2 14dpt 336, #3 16dpt 845
    6/19/2012 7w HB 131!!! 6/27/2012 8w HB 173
    Baby Delaney is scheduled to be induced Jan 30, 2013!!

imageimageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    At the ultrasound where we found out we miscarried, the tech did a really thorough job (45 minutes) looking for a heartbeat (both internally and externally). She couldn't find one and the baby measured 8w2d, not 10w like it should have. I just knew at that moment that it was over and didn't feel the need for any other tests or ultrasounds. I don't regret it, I don't think I could have handled seeing the flat line and blood movement again. It would have broken my heart too much.
  • Options

My doctor did a 2nd u/s a week after the first bad one.  She didn't really give me the "option" she just scheduled it.  Even though they had already told me that from the 1st one and my two blood tests that the pregnancy was not viable (words that will forever be stamped in my mind) I was still hoping for a miracle.  The 2nd one was so sad and I just cried through the whole thing.  It just confirmed everything everyone already knew.  

I'm sure you did the right thing! ((Hugs))  

• Options

I had my second ultrasound this morning to confirm...

If I didn't have it done I would have always wondered, and the first u/s that showed no heartbeat was done SO quickly. I really needed to see it, and have the situation explained to me so that everything made some kind  of sense to me. It gave me a sense of closure- though I'm not sure thats the right word.

But everyones situation is so different- if the first u/s you got was through, and you were satisfied, a 2nd would maybe be too much.

• Options
    At first I did regret it a little but after reading this post I don't anymore. I really didn't want to believe it so maybe it was the denial. But I went to the ER because I thought I could have a UTI. My baby measured 9 weeks and 6 days which was right but no h/b was found. The tech really took while (30 minutes) and did external and internal u/s. I just was really hoping for a miracle but I know that far along there should have been a h/b. It just broke my heart that I never got a chance to see the baby's heartbeat this was my first u/s.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss.  I went in for an ultrasound at 8 weeks.  There was no growth in the fetus and no heart beat as previously seen at 6 weeks.  Needless to say I was very scared and upset.  I too questioned the technician and the doctor.  That maybe they were wrong.  I was not given the option to have another ultrasound.  I don't think I could have gone through that again.  I just wanted the pregnancy to be over.  I tried to induce the miscarriage with misoprostol but it didn't work.  I had a d&c a few days later.  Now I am hoping to get pregnant again but the fear of miscarrying again is there.  
  • Options

I showed up at my 12 week appt expecting to be told that we had lost our baby.  (Pregnancy symptoms had stopped a few weeks earlier, and I had began spotting a few weeks earlier.)  They did the ultrasound, and could not detect a heartbeat.  The baby was also measuring 8w, 4d when I should have been at 12w, 3 d.  I saw the baby on the u/s, and it was obvious that the baby was gone.  It was honestly very traumatic for me to see the baby "floating" in my uterus looking the same as it had at my original appointment a month before.  When I am sad and trying to sleep I see the image of my baby lifeless...so for me, I wish I had not seen that on the u/s.

Not sure that helps with your questions of regret...but know that we are all here for you anytime! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"