Adoption

newbie - where to start??

i'm sorry, you probably get this question a lot.

i'm gonna get the Adoption for Dummies book at the library... but just curious, what is the very VERY first step?  do i just look up agencies online or in a phone book??  how do i even know who to talk to/interview????

ETA:  we are happy to do foster to adopt... i assume that changes things?

we already have a little girl but would prefer to adopt for future children, and i dont want them to be too far apart, so i figure we should get started sooner rather than later...

sorry this is so basic, TIA!

Re: newbie - where to start??

• Start with the book. It lays out the different types of adoption and points you to resources for the next steps.

If you're planning on foster to adopt, you'd contact someone at your state who deals with that.

GL

• The first decision you will need to make is what type of adoption, so start researching this.  There is foster to adopt, agency, private adoption, and working with a consultant or facilitator.  Each has advantages and disadvantages, so do your research to pick which route you want to pursue and then go from there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDr.Loretta:

Start with the book. It lays out the different types of adoption and points you to resources for the next steps.

If you're planning on foster to adopt, you'd contact someone at your state who deals with that.

GL

This.  Everything follows after  you've made the decision on what type of adoption (domestic, international, foster to adopt, etc) Welcome! This is truly the kindest and most helpful board on the bump...

33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
  • imagemeganroselee:
    imageDr.Loretta:

Start with the book. It lays out the different types of adoption and points you to resources for the next steps.

GL

This.  Everything follows after  you've made the decision on what type of adoption (domestic, international, foster to adopt, etc) Welcome! This is truly the kindest and most helpful board on the bump...

I have noticed that - thank you so much everyone!!!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"