Adoption

Hope this does not offend

I'm popping over from the multiples board and have some questions about embyro donation.  I hope this does not upset anyone I just thought someone here might know something!

Does anyone know exactly how this works?  Would the RE have custody of them and give them to a prospective recipient?  Do the recipients go through the homestudy process like an adoption?  Can they find the donor's later if they want/need to? 

I tried calling the RE today but didn't get through to anyone yet and since DH and I had the conversation I've been thinking about it alot.  TIA!

IVF#1 - 2 Blast Transfered = BFP!!! Identical Triplets&Fraternal = QUADS!! imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Hope this does not offend

• I'm not sure about your other questions but I do know that the adoptive parents will have to be "approved" after a homestudy. Embyro adoption is still adoption, just at a different stage in life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just found this site...it might answer some of your questions.

https://www.embryodonation.org/donation.html

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you!
    IVF#1 - 2 Blast Transfered = BFP!!! Identical Triplets&Fraternal = QUADS!! imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I only know about embryo adoption from the donation side of things.  We tried 2 FET and had 2 miscarriages so we decided to adopt.  We had 7 frozen embryos left and we didn't want to do any more shots of doctor's appts.  We had to fill out a lot of paperwork describing ourselves from physical characteristics to info about our parents and our jobs.  We also had to sign a lot of paperwork saying we knew we were no longer legally bound to the embryos.  I believe and embryo adoption is not too different than a regular adoption.  The potential parents have to do a homestudy and then they look through books containing info about the donated embryos and pick.

We were very much for the donation process and not research just because I wanted them to have the right to live if at all possible.  Congrats on your quads!  I'm sure you've got your hands full.

• As an embryo donor receipient, I have to correct the information provided by PP.

Embryo donation/adoption is not regulated and does not always require a homestudy.  There are multiple avenues to persue in the donation and receipt of leftover embyros and each route has various levels of approvals required (none to regular adoption homestudy).

There is an option to use an adoption agency that handles embryo adoptions (Bethany Christian Adoption Agency comes to mind and they work with Snowflakes) to facilitate the process via regular homestudy, but that is the not only option. 

There are also private (direct) channels for donor and receipients to meet and exchange embryos.  Examples include directly through the RE's office or via special websites or word-of-mouth.  Legal documents for the exchange of embryos can be facilitated via lawyers.  The amount of screening in these situations vary. 

One similarity to domestic infant adoption is that embryo adoption can range from anonymous donation to a fully open relationship between the donor and receipient.  It all depends upon the donating couple (like birth parents) and what type of relationship (if any) they want with receipients.

If you would like more information, please PM me.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • On the Resolve link above, there is another link to a fantastic presentation on donor embryo donation and use.  It covered all aspects of the process from medical to emotional to legal.  

Bethany Christian also had an online decision making toolkit for donors and receipients.  It was very extensive and covered all the issues to consider.  It had a list of questions for you and husband to discuss in making the right decision for you and your family.   I can't find the link, though.  If you contact Bethany, maybe they can provide information.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I believe there are homestudies and fees involved. Most agencies that deal with embryo donation should have at least basic information on their web site (I know mine does). Maybe you can start there and work your way back to the RE.

GL!

• Hi, Dr. Loretta.

In my research, there are never any fees to the donating couple.  The couple receiving the embryos picks up any costs (storage, testing, legal, shipping, etc.).

Also, there are multiple routes to donate and receive embryos.  Some options do NOT include a homestudy nor any background screening.  It depends upon the program/method/route you use. 

• imageKarlsSweetie05:

As an embryo donor receipient, I have to correct the information provided by PP.

Embryo donation/adoption is not regulated and does not always require a homestudy.  There are multiple avenues to persue in the donation and receipt of leftover embyros and each route has various levels of approvals required (none to regular adoption homestudy).

There is an option to use an adoption agency that handles embryo adoptions (Bethany Christian Adoption Agency comes to mind and they work with Snowflakes) to facilitate the process via regular homestudy, but that is the not only option. 

There are also private (direct) channels for donor and receipients to meet and exchange embryos.  Examples include directly through the RE's office or via special websites or word-of-mouth.  Legal documents for the exchange of embryos can be facilitated via lawyers.  The amount of screening in these situations vary. 

One similarity to domestic infant adoption is that embryo adoption can range from anonymous donation to a fully open relationship between the donor and receipient.  It all depends upon the donating couple (like birth parents) and what type of relationship (if any) they want with receipients.

If you would like more information, please PM me.

Thank you for all the info! This makes me feel better knowing we do have options with this route, we knew we wanted to donate any remaining but it's kindof embarassing how little we know about it.  I've left a voicemail with the RE so hopefully we can come to a solution.

•  I just assumed that a home study was done to adopt the embryos.  The process I went through where I donated made adopting couples do the homestudey just as if they were adopting a baby.  I was very glad that homestudies were a part of the equation and one of the reasons we donated through the facility we used.
  • imageAmy720:
     I just assumed that a home study was done to adopt the embryos.  The process I went through where I donated made adopting couples do the homestudey just as if they were adopting a baby.  I was very glad that homestudies were a part of the equation and one of the reasons we donated through the facility we used.

Yea I don't think we'd be comfotable with the situation if there were no homestudy.  We want to do everything we can to give the embryos the best possible outcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"