Baby Showers
Options

"Dutch treat" shower wording

So DH and I have been invited to 2 showers this year in which guests were asked to pay their way with a "fixe prix" menu. Both showers have been at restaurants, and it has become more and more normal for ppl to pay for their own plate in this type of setting. 

We too have found a restaurant where to hold our shower, with a private room and special menu for these type of celebrations. We thought this would be a good idea seeing as it has become an acceptable scenario, and especially since we have about 120 guests. 

I made the mistake of not keeping the previous invitations, and now need help in wording ours. Each guest will be asked to pay $20 which includes appetizer, main course, dessert and beverages. 

Any suggestions on wording or links to invite sites?

TIA!!!! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Dutch treat" shower wording

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Go for it, but don't expect a single gift.  God knows, I wouldn't get you one if I was invited.

Someone ELSE needs to throw you a shower and guests shouldn't have to pay.  

Sorry, anything else is tacky. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just tell them to send you the pressies and save the $20 for the meal.
  • Options

Just because other people have done this does NOT make it acceptible.

PLEASE. Please. PLEASE don't don't this.

There are so many faux pas in here I don't even know where to start, but I will try.

Do not throw your own shower under any circumstance.

Do not ask people to then pay for themselves.

Do not put wording like that on an invitation.

etc.

etc.

etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    imageJackswife123:

Go for it, but don't expect a single gift.  God knows, I wouldn't get you one if I was invited.

Someone ELSE needs to throw you a shower and guests shouldn't have to pay.  

Sorry, anything else is tacky. 

This exactly. If I had to pay to attend a shower I either wouldn't attend or wouldn't bring a gift. It's super tacky to throw yourself a shower and then expect them to pay to come. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

if this is becoming normal in your social circle you need to find new friends stat. it is majorly tacky. 

i think you might be missing the point of a shower. it isn't a party you throw yourself so people will buy you things. and dear lord if you do decide to anger the ettiquette gods and throw your own shower you sure as sh*t better pay for it. throwing your own party, and asking people to pay to attend... this just blows my mind.  

• Options

This is the tackiest thing I have ever heard of. You DO NOT EVER under ANY circumstances throw YOUR OWN shower. I get that you WANT one but you are not entitled to one. And if no one around you has offered to throw you one, well....it might be because you actually have the attitude that this kind of shiit is Ok......

And then you think it is OK to CHARGE your guests money to come?? So if they don't pay your "cover charge", they don't eat?? Do they even get to come???

Don NOT do this. It will stain your reputation forever. Trust me. It will.

You will forever be known as "Cheap and Tacky". 

Aiden 6-17-2008 Baby #2 due December 22, 2011
  • Options

Don't listen to the naysayers. You should totally do this and instead of lame-o, Hallmark, congratulations cards you should ask for books or better yet, GIFT cards AND a present.

• Options

ROSES ARE RED

VIOLETS ARE BLUE

BRING MONEY FOR YOUR DINNER

AND AN EFFING GIFT TOO!!!

• Options
    imagefire0513fly:

ROSES ARE RED

VIOLETS ARE BLUE

Admit it. You write for Hallmark, don't you? That was beautiful :::tear

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Don't forget a diaper lottery!

• Options

imagelalique216:
    We thought this would be a good idea seeing as it has become an acceptable scenario, and especially since we have about 120 guests.

You are not only wanting to throw yourself a baby shower and make all of your guests pay to come, but you are also inviting 120 freakin' people?! Seriously?!

Oh, and no, nothing about this situation is "acceptable".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options

How about

"We're throwing a shower, but you'll have to pay your own way
    don't forget that baby need things for sleep and for play
    Bring a book instead of a card, and a case of diapers, too
    No charachter stuff please, or I'll complain about you."

• Options
    imagestephm0188:

How about

FTW! 

Aiden 6-17-2008 Baby #2 due December 22, 2011
  • Options

This post is all sorts of hilarity!

Steph wins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    imagestephm0188:

How about

Sheer PERFECTION...I think I love you...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options
    Don't forget to have the guests write and address their own thank-you notes before they leave!  And if they're really friends, they'll save you the postage and just take the note home after they've written it.
  • Options
    qme09qme09 member
    Um yeah, I'm pretty sure none of that is socially acceptable. A baby shower is a party thrown FOR you, by those who love you. Throwing one for yourself makes it obvious you only want gifts, and to top it off, you want people to pay a cover to bring you a gift. I don't think that's okay. Maybe social etiquette has been thrown out the window though. What do I know?
  • Options

I don't think I could add anything better than what has already been said.

I am SHOCKED that the OP has actually attended such tacky events in the past and then wants to copy them!  You don't throw your own shower.  Just in case she didn't catch it in the last dozen replies A SHOWER IS A GIFT SOMEONE ELSE GIVES YOU!  

I would never ever attend such a tacky event where I had to pay for my own food with 120 of my "closest friends" to celebrate a baby - and bring a gift!?!  

TACKY TACKY TACKY...I cannot say it enough.

• Options
    This has to be MUD.....
  • Options

Even I have to speak up about this. 

Expecting people to pay 20 dollars for food, and the apparent privilege to sit there and watch you receive presents is BS. 

I would decline on that basis alone.  Do you think the economy is so good that if people, especially if it's more than one person such as a spousal set, decide to come, they can pay 40/60, whatever.  PLUS a gift??

I would NEVER go to that.   You know, it's bad enough you're throwing your own party, bad enough you plan to invite 120 people, but asking people to pay??

The party should be catered by whoever is having the party for you.  Whether it's food that they cooked, or bring a dish, or something... I could handle bringing a dish... but damn if I would pay to give YOU presents.  

Maybe I'd print a pic of what I was going to get you that cost 25 bucks, and say here is a 5 dollar bill...  that's what is left after dinner, so you enjoy the 5-spot and don't spend it all in one place.

Really... who do you think you are?  A princess? 

• Options
    imageCrazyToast:

I am SHOCKED that the OP has actually attended such tacky events in the past and then wants to copy them!  You don't throw your own shower. 

Her profile says she is an event planner.  She probably hangs out with those over-entitled types anyway...  $50K Sweet 16's and stuff.

• Options

imageTColeman:
    This has to be MUD.....

One could only hope.

• Options
    imageLucyGoosey81:

Just because other people have done this does NOT make it acceptible.

PLEASE. Please. PLEASE don't don't this.

There are so many faux pas in here I don't even know where to start, but I will try.

Do not throw your own shower under any circumstance.

Do not ask people to then pay for themselves.

Do not put wording like that on an invitation.

etc.

etc.

etc.

This I wouldnt even go. I would bring you a gift when you got home but no there is nothing here that I would want to support. EVER.

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have probably been to at least 30 baby showers in my lifetime and have never ever had to pay to go to one.  I think once or twice I had to pay for parking...but that was it.  I have heard that in showers in Florida ask for money from guests to pay for food/decorations/etc. at a restaurant (not all of them obviously).  My SIL who lives there says she has been invited to a couple that were like this...she did not attend so not sure what the reception was like. 

I totally agree with the others...

1.  Poor etiquette to host your own shower

2.  Poor etiquette to ask people to pay for the priviledge  of attending

3.  Mud (I hope).  No one can be that stupid.

4.  120 people is a huge shower.  Is it so large because you feel many (like 90 percent) will NOT pay for their meal and not come?  That would leave about 12 people...which is a small intimate baby shower.

• Options

1. A baby shower is a gift someone GIVES you.

2. You do not have 120 close, intimate friends. And that's what showers are for. Close, intimate friends. If other friends, coworkers, associates, etc. want to give you a gift,that's great.

3. Other posters have been right. It doesn't matter if other people have done this, in no way is this acceptable. I guarentee this is not a trend that will catch on. The prior showers you've attended that were like this were done by tacky/greedy people with no sense of decorum. Don't copy them.

• Options
    ctanactana member
    This can't possibly be real. No one is this rude, tacky or clueless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm too cheap to pay for your meal,

despite what etiquette says it's no big deal. 

I'm a momma-to-be

which means more prezies for me!

Diapers and books you'd better bring

in addition to all of my registry things!

120 of my "closest" friends

will ensure the gift-receiving never ends! 

thank you cards, if you will 

will only be sent if you foot the bill! 

• Options
    imagedanilynn17:

I'm a momma-to-be

this is awesome!!!

i recently attended a shower like this. but there was nothing in the invite that said we would be expected to buy our meal. it was awful. i agree that a shower is an intimate get together for a mom to be and her close family and friends. a time to welcome the mother into motherhood and the baby into this world.

at the shower i attended, there were no games, nothing. we came, we ate, paid for our food, watched mom open gifts and left. didnt even get to talk to the mom to be.

DONT DO IT!!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imageEmjay221:
    imageCrazyToast:

I am SHOCKED that the OP has actually attended such tacky events in the past and then wants to copy them!  You don't throw your own shower. 

Her profile says she is an event planner.  She probably hangs out with those over-entitled types anyway...  $50K Sweet 16's and stuff.

Let me just say that I have my Bachelor's Degree in Special Event Management...I am sure the type of "event planner" she is...is plan my own baby shower, plan my own birthday party event planner. She is giving true professionals a bad name.

There is no way a true event planner would think that it is acceptable to make guests pay their own way (unless, of course it was a fundraiser).

Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options
    imageTulipsAndChampagne:
    imageEmjay221:
    imageCrazyToast:

Let me just say that I have my Bachelor's Degree in Special Event Management...I am sure the type of "event planner" she is...is plan my own baby shower, plan my own birthday party event planner. She is giving true professionals a bad name.

There is no way a true event planner would think that it is acceptable to make guests pay their own way (unless, of course it was a fundraiser).

I also have my own event planning firm and I agree with Tulips here...

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefire0513fly:

ROSES ARE RED

VIOLETS ARE BLUE

BAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    ctanactana member
    imagedanilynn17:

I'm a momma-to-be

Oh Danilyn...once again....I completely love you for this!!

• Options
    ctanactana member
    imagembenit4:

Also..."prix fixes" means a complete meal of several courses, sometimes with choices permitted, offered by a restaurant at a fixed price. This does not mean guests pay.

Not sure I understand the point of your response. The OP clearly said they would have guests pay for their own meal - prix fixe or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"