Austin Babies
Options

What do I need for aftercare?

I'm finally done buying things for LO. My hospital bag is packed and DH put a small tote with a change of clothes with mine so I think we're finally set.

What do I need for myself when I get home that NAMC doesn't give me or only gives me a few of? I love DH and I know he'd go get me anything I asked him to but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to , KWIM?

I have pads but I'm not sure I bought the right kind or enough? I bought tucks pads too but that's it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What do I need for aftercare?

• Options

I think I came home with everything I needed for the most part.  I took it all... I did pay for it after all!!  I took a TON of pads- both the heavy duty ones and the lighter ones, the mesh panties, the Tucks wipes, and the plastic bottle that they provide to help you 'rinse'.  

The one thing that I love to tell new moms that deliver vaginally is that after you pee, rinse (like they tell you to) and then use your hair dryer down there for a few seconds.  Not kidding you- you will heal so much faster.  The sweetest nurse told me that tip when I called back up to the hospital complaining about the burn/sting after #1 (I had torn 2nd degree).  It really did help with the hurt and I healed very quickly downtown both times.  

ETA: I did go to the store soon after release with and bought some Gerber hot/cold breast gel packs (got at Target I think).  I still have them and plan to use them with this time around too!  They were a huge help with my rock hard boobs and I used them any time I got engorged.  Love them since you can do heat or cold with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Breast-Therapy-Relief-reusable/dp/B0009F3MCO 

Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
    WEB
  • Options
    They'll probably send you home with prescriptions/meds, so you could ask your doctor if you could get a list of the over-the-counter ones now.  Stool softener is the big one that I remember.  And I think it was Advil that was recommended after pregnancy, instead of Tylenol (opposite from pregnancy).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelrb:

I think I came home with everything I needed for the most part.  I took it all... I did pay for it after all!!  I took a TON of pads- both the heavy duty ones and the lighter ones, the mesh panties, the Tucks wipes, and the plastic bottle that they provide to help you 'rinse'.  

Yup. The hospital will "give" you everything.  I asked for 2 peri bottles- one for upstairs and one for down. Extra mesh panties- no need to mess up your own. They have a spray & tucks to give you, as well.

If you are breastfeeding, they have samples of nipple cream and soothers (I don't know their real name, but they are silicone and you can stick 'em in the fridge). 

For your baby- they will give you a thermometer. We chose to buy a faster read one. They'll give you the suction thing and will even send you home w/ whatever remaining diapers you have. 

• Options
    All of the above, plus benzocaine spray and Colace. 
  • Options

ooooh!  I forgot about that Dermaplast spray!  I love that stuff and still have it.  I use it on the boys 'owies' now.  

Ask your lactation consultant for any supplies you may need too because she will give you samples such as the Lansinoh ... I just had to ask because it wasn't just offered.   

Jacob David (01/07), Matthew Isaac (12/08) & Kasey Elise (9/10)
    WEB
  • Options
    MrsAJLMrsAJL member

I had a c-section but I still needed the pads, mesh undies, peri bottle (with an abdominal incision, it's hard to bend and wipe without discomfort), etc. 

I totally second the hair dryer trick.  If you have a c-section, it's important to keep your incision dry, so you can use the hair dryer on cool on the area for a few seconds to help get rid of excess moisture.  It helped my incision heal super fast.

Also, the stool softener is a must with either kind of deliver. 

• Options
    imagelrb:

ooooh!  I forgot about that Dermaplast spray!  I love that stuff and still have it.  I use it on the boys 'owies' now.  

Definitely get an extra bottle of this.  I went through the one the hospital sent us home with in a matter of days.

• Options
    imagelrb:

The one thing that I love to tell new moms that deliver vaginally is that after you pee, rinse (like they tell you to) and then use your hair dryer down there for a few seconds.  Not kidding you- you will heal so much faster.  The sweetest nurse told me that tip when I called back up to the hospital complaining about the burn/sting after #1 (I had torn 2nd degree).  It really did help with the hurt and I healed very quickly downtown both times.  

ETA: I did go to the store soon after release with and bought some Gerber hot/cold breast gel packs (got at Target I think).  I still have them and plan to use them with this time around too!  They were a huge help with my rock hard boobs and I used them any time I got engorged.  Love them since you can do heat or cold with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Breast-Therapy-Relief-reusable/dp/B0009F3MCO 

I would have never thought to use a hair dryer but it makes sense!!! Thank you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:
    imagebrideonjuly8:
    imagelrb:

Definitely get an extra bottle of this.  I went through the one the hospital sent us home with in a matter of days.

How did I not know about this stuff?

OMG they didn't give you any Dermaplast?!?!  I couldn't live without that stuff and was spraying in on my stitches about every hour.  It numbs really well.  It's a MUST.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"