Stay at Home Moms
Options

Question from a working mom

Have you always enjoyed being a SAHM or did it get more enjoyable as DC got older?  I always thought I would want to be a SAHM but after my 12-week maternity leave I was very happy to be back at work.  We didn't have the financial option for me to stay at home so it didn't really matter at the time.  But now I may have the chance to stay at home and I'm wondering if it would be a different experience now that DD is older (she just turned 6 months) and we could get out and do things more.  Any thoughts?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Question from a working mom

• Options
    I've always loved it, but I'm the type that loves the newborn stage (I know some people aren't crazy about that!)  It does get more fun as they get older because you can do more things... more challenging sometimes, too, though! 
  • Options
    It is what you make it.  I love it, but I get out and do a lot.  We are all sick today, so stuck at home alone and it sucks, but most of the time, we do lots of fun things.  We were going to Stone mountain to ride the train and the ferry boat before we woke up with the crud. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member
    To me being a SAHM is just as much challenging as it is rewardng.  But yes, to answer your question---I did enjoy it more once the night feedings and teething season had ended, and DS was able to communicate much better.  Now, it's just dealing with the whining and the tantrums!  I think each season has it's "uggh" part but I guess it comes with the territory.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    imagewifeandmama:
    I've always loved it, but I'm the type that loves the newborn stage (I know some people aren't crazy about that!)  It does get more fun as they get older because you can do more things... more challenging sometimes, too, though! 

I agree. This is how I feel.
  • Options

I HATE the newborn stage!!!!! I can't even express how much I dislike it! LOL!

It gets so much better for me when they turn 1.....

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I did not enjoy it until DS was 6 months or so old. I am VERY Type A and as we know, newborns do not like schedules. I missed my job and had just started meeting my new mom friends. Once he was older (and I was getting more sleep), I figured out our schedule and really got involved with classes and my MOMS Club. Then, it was great and I love it now. I am not an infant person, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing ladies!  I'm thinking it would be a lot better now that she is sleeping better and I'm not so stressed.  At first I was afraid to leave the house with her b/c everything was just so new and I wasn't sure how things would go.  But thankfully I have gotten over that fear!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

When she slept like a normal person it became more enjoyable because I wasn't a sleep deprived mess. Plus they're interactive and it's more fun.

Honestly the older she gets the more I enjoy it. We can get out more, she talks - she's a pretty cool sidekick.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I really had a hard time during the newborn stage.  At work, I felt fairly confident in my abilities, and then suddenly here was a person completely  depending on me, and I hated not being sure of the right thing to do.  It took me 4-5 months to get into it.

I was always committed to the bit, though, and had no question I would see SAH through.  At around 18 months, it started getting really fun.  Dealing with a strong-willed, walking, talking person has its downsides, but DD has so many surprises for me every day.  It's a total cliche, but I'm learning so much from her. 

• Options

I really think it just depends a lot on both of your personalities. my DD has always been a relatively 'easy' kiddo so I can say I have pretty much have always loved it. Not to say that we haven't had our bad days. She is just a really laid back easy going kid.

It is a give and take really- some things get easier as they grow up and other things get harder. It is just constantly evolving. So its not easier- it just changes.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I enjoy it! It gets easier as they get older to take them to do things, yet challenging in other ways...they start to have a mind of their own! ;)

Having my kids in MDO 2-3 days a week also helps. It's a good balance for us.

• Options
    There are days I love it and there are days I really miss working and adult interaction. I try to create days that are ever changing in an effort to keep myself stimulated, but also to make sure Miss is getting a full range of experiences. Honestly, as she has gotten older, it's gotten harder in some ways to be home with her and wonderful in others as she is getting more independent and full of interest in learning. I wouldn't change being home with her though. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    rsd12rsd12 member

When my first was born I had the ideal situation working from home part time.  I had the best of both worlds!  I was laid off from my job right before my 2nd was born, so we decided I would just stay home (& throw in 1 more kid).  I love it.  At first it was hard since I was use to interaction with other adults.. but I have a lot of friends that are stay at home too (so that helped), & they do get "easier" & a different kind of fun as they get older.  I would not trade this time for anything in the world & feel blessed that I am home with them.

It is hard, but a different kind of hard - but I love watching my kids grow & learn right now!  Soon they will be in school where they won't need me!

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Options
    I love every minute of it!!! (I work-at-home, too.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"