Baby Showers
Options

Registry Etiquette

I am being thrown two showers, one by family, and one by friends. I live far away from my family, so this seems okay. But lots of people have asked about a registry, and pretty much bugged the heck out of me about it. I ended up making one, with the things I'll actually need, not so much cutesy extras and whatnot, but I worry that its rude to request anything? I know lots of people have registries, but I feel awkward about telling people what I want, especially since baby things are so costly. I don't want to ask for things I don't need, but on the other hand, the things I need are expensive. I made the registry and all, but now I want to delete it, because I feel so weird about it. Is it rude to ask for the things I need? What is it okay to ask for?

Re: Registry Etiquette

• Options
    I put the items that I need and just a few of the items that I like but arent a necessity... that way people that are interested in looking at my registry can see what kind of things we are interested in and what colors we are using in his nursery.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

some people just need a registry so they can get an idea of what you want/need.  It's not a bad thing.  Put only what you want/need on there. 

I will admit to you that on our registry, I marked things like a bottle warmer and a bottle sterilizer "purchased" so people could think that we already had them.  Truthfully, we just didn't want those things (we did it with a few other things, too), and it we didn't receive them!  =)

others don't like to look at a registry, so you'll still get tons of random stuff from those people - because they think they know what you need.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Registries are helpful and eventhough you have one people will get you what they want to get you. They only faux paux that I see that bothers me is multiple big items. For example three or four travel systems, two or more breast pumps or cribs and changing tables. THAT really irks me. Just be practical and no one will bat an eye. HTH

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Here's what would make registires "rude" - if you told people w/o being asked "Here's where I registered.  I want you to get me a gift, and it has to be off of this.  I dont' care if only expensive stuff is left over - I expect everyone to buy off of it and buy everything.  If you dont' but off of it, I will return whatever you give me because it's not specifically what I wanted.". 

If you aren't doing this, then all it is is a "wish list".  Just letting people know what you want and need.  And many people LIKE using them (I do!) because they want to make sure they really help you out and get you set up.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

i found that most people love to give gifts to babies. if people are asking where you are registered, that's saying a lot. i know some people are more givers than takers, but it's not rude at all to register (at least in my area and circle of friends). as a guest, i'd rather give someone something that they wanted and needed. it reduces chance of duplicate gifts. it's also very convenient for the guests since they can also have the option of having it shipped by ordering online if they are not able to make the shower.

we pretty much got everything we registered for. our family got us most of the big items and our friends bought the rest. and we reciprocate, so it's all good :)

• Options

Registries are perfectly acceptable and honestly make the guest's life easier.  If the guest doesn't want to shop from the registry, they don't have too, but if they do, it gives them a place to start.

The way I see it, anything you need in the first year is fare game.  Yes there are a lot of expensive items, but there are less expensive ones as well, like recieving blankets, bottles, nipples, safety items, etc.

You want to make sure that the registry has a variety of items and price ranges.  Mine is about half items $15 or under, 1/4 items $40-$15, and the last 1/4 are the more expensive items with only a few being over $100.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You are in no way being rude by creating a registry. If people don't want to shop from it they don't have to but for a lot of people (like me) registries are a wonderful way to make sure that you get something you need. I am of the opinion that if you have a variety of price ranges then it's okay to put anything on there, that may be because I know you get a discount on things you purchase at the end though. Do make sure that you have a good balance though, of smaller and larger items. What ever you need is okay to go on there, if people want to buy you something that is not on the list, they will don't worry.

TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imageCrazyToast:

some people just need a registry so they can get an idea of what you want/need.  It's not a bad thing.  Put only what you want/need on there. 

I will admit to you that on our registry, I marked things like a bottle warmer and a bottle sterilizer "purchased" so people could think that we already had them.  Truthfully, we just didn't want those things (we did it with a few other things, too), and it we didn't receive them!  =)

others don't like to look at a registry, so you'll still get tons of random stuff from those people - because they think they know what you need.  

Why did you even bother registering for things if you didn't want or need them and were just going to mark them as "purchased"?  I don't get the concept behind that. 

• Options
    imageCrazyToast:

Why did you even bother registering for things if you didn't want or need them and were just going to mark them as "purchased"?  I don't get the concept behind that. 

• Options
    Don't worry about the costly items. Sometimes, a far away family member wants to send something expensive to help out a little more since they won't be around to babysit, cook, etc. Also, a smaller group within the group may all chip in to buy one larger-ticket item...some people get gift certificates if they don't see anything they want to buy within the price range.
  • Options
    I agree with the above posts about the acceptability of a registry.  I am also uncomfortable asking for specific things, but I realized that when it is my turn to purchase a gift for a friend I prefer to purchase from their registry so that they are receiving a gift they will enjoy.  I was surprised to see that my larger items were purchased for us first.  Yesterday I received our car seat from a few friends of my mom...totally unexpected, but I'm sure they were excited to contribute in a way that they felt would help me the most.  My smaller items (boppy etc. have yet to be purchased, and my second shower will be held this weekend.)  Good luck, and enjoy your showers!
  • Options

If my InLaws had their way, I'd register for my birthday and Christmas. They like to be given an exact list of what I need/want.

Our registry is going to be a list of everything we plan to buy. If family wants to help, great. If they don't, eh, not worried, I get a completion coupon. :)

Also note: none of my friends have babies yet so I doubt they would have any idea what to buy me without a registry. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"